Timing?

1990 TOYOTA 3.0 TIMMING BELT, DO THEY JUMP TIME BY A TOOTH ON THE BELT IS THIS A COMMON THING

No, and no.

It’s not common for timing belts (one “m”), to “jump time” by one or more teeth.

It can happen, but it’s not common.

Do you think your vehicle’s timing belt has “jumped a tooth,” and if, so, why?

Belts are more apt to break then to jump a tooth.

Chains will stretch over time (usually after 200k miles) and then possibly slip.

Belts have been installed a tooth off, but I don’t know of any that have ever skipped a tooth. I have heard of this as a theory, just never heard of an actual confirmed case.

I did have a 79 Dodge Colt whose cam suddenly stopped while driving on the freeway during an ice storm in the middle of nowhere. At least it seemed like the middle of nowhere during the ice storm. I liked to froze to death before someone came by. Anyway, back to the point, the timing belt did not break, but all the teeth on the belt where it went under the crank sprocket were stripped off, and only those teeth. I replaced the belt and went another 60k before the car got hit and totaled.

I’VE SEEN A TIMING BEL. . .urk… . I’ve seen a timing belt jump a tooth. The tensioner was bad.

If the tensioner is in need of changing of adjustment it can happen.

What’s the deal? What happened? It’s hard to provide an opiinion without more detail.