Timing Belts vs Timing Chains

Even if you replaced a timing belt and water pump on a V-6 Honda for approx $700{This includes antifreeze, oil and filter}, what is that cost breakdown over a period of 7-8 years?Putting aside $10 a month for this repair isn’t that bad is it?Some cars have timing belts that don’t destroy the valve train if they fail.Some with timing chains will.Don’t let this issue keep you from buying the car you want.You can reduce the cost considerably of the repair if you find a shop that will allow you to provide the parts yourself.

I saw a recent article on the Internet where Hyundai is redesigning the Elantra and Accent in 2011 and when they do all Hyundais will have timing chains.

That’s why they use multiple chains…Not just one long chain…You can use one long belt…but a chain…it’s just easier to use multiple chains.

Contrary to others have said…Timing chains do NOT last for ever…no matter how good you are at PM. After 250k miles or so…the chain will be stretched. If you have an interference engine you have a few choices…buy a new vehicle (which most people do) or replace the chain at a cost of 3-5 times what a belt will cost or just wait until it breaks then junk it and buy a new vehicle.

Most people will say that chains never need replacing…because MOST people don’t keep their vehicles long enough to ever need the chain replaced.

Yes, a chain will last a lot longer than a belt, BUT it will cost a whole bunch more to replace when (not if; WHEN) it needs to be replaced. Overall, it will be a wash. Chains are only cheaper if you’re intending to junk the car when (again, not if; WHEN) the chain fails and the engine pounds itself into junk. Belts can be cheaper if you’ve got a car like mine; the engine is a non-interference design, which means that if I just wait until the belt snaps, the only junk-worthy consequence is if someone hits my suddenly-unpowered car; the engine won’t bend valves, smash pistons or any such destruction. I just replace the belt on schedule, though; between towing fees and the risk of getting smashed, it’s not worth skimping.

Neither option is intrinsically better than the other. Belts do some things better than chains, and some things worse. In practical terms, it does. Not. Matter. Pick a vehicle you want to drive, and follow the service schedule in the owner’s manual; it will last as long as you are prepared to allow it to last.