Timing Belt

I have a 2003 Subaru Forester with 67000 miles. When should I change the timing belt?

This information is in your scheduled maintenance booklet…or call dealership.

The factory maintenance schedule that is sitting in your glove compartment clearly lists this procedure for “105 months or 105,000 miles”–with the proviso of “whichever comes first”. So, luckily for you, you still have a couple of years before this vital procedure is due.

However, I am concerned that you have apparently not yet utilized that maintenance schedule that was provided for you. If you are not following that schedule carefully, you may wind up with a LOT of mechanical problems before you even reach 2011.

Why is maintenance such a mystery to so many people? The booklet listing everything necessary was placed in the glove compartment by the manufacturer. All that anyone has to do is to take out that book and read it.

Ever buy a used car? If not from same brand dealer I bet 98% of cases manual(s) in trash.

One Belt Company Says That Subaru Recommends Replacement At 105,000 Miles.

Usually there is an age recommendation, as well. Many manufacturers recommend replacing a belt at age 7 or 8, regardless of miles. Your vehicle is almost 6, or possibly almost 7 years old.

Check on that, too!

CSA

Subaru does not place its maintenance schedule in the Owner’s Manual, as most car makers do. Instead, they use a separate booklet titled “Subaru Warranty and Maintenance Supplement”. Why would anyone steal or throw away a booklet like that?

I have owned 4 used cars. Not a single one came with an owners manual. I believe most (prior) owners or the cleaning crew just chuck out whatever they find inside.

So, if it doesn’t come with a manual, then you buy a replacement. How else will you know how to properly maintain the car?

105 months is almost 9 years, but I’m not sure I’d wait that long to change it out.

I almost never have an owner’s manual, which suggests at the very least getting a Haynes manual from AutoZone for $20. Heckuva lot cheaper than not knowing your car.