Timing belt warnings/check up before failure?

Thanks for participating on my discussion. I did search on this forum on the above subject. I did not find any hits, so I like to start this thread.

As we have this timing belt as main piece in vehicle. I’m wondering to find a way to know timing belt failure ahead of time. This timing belt is hidden under timing belt cover.

How do we check/inspect the timing belt condition periodical basis to avoid break/failure? (Apart from age/driven miles, typically mentioned in owners manual)

Are there any symptoms/noises showing up ahead of timing break/failure?

Are there any videos to cover this subjects?

Thanks for sharing.

Robert Gift . . . is that you?

There is usually no warning prior to a timing belt break.

@cdaquila Carolyn would you please make this clown go away.

@cdaquila‌

Volvo has a very good point

it is getting tedious

Are there any symptoms/noises showing up ahead of timing break/failure?

Absolutely NONE. Go by mileage. I don’t see what the issue is.

I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt at first but it’s fast becoming a joke.

@RIMDToyota‌

“How do we check/inspect the timing belt condition periodical basis to avoid break/failure? (Apart from age/driven miles, typically mentioned in owners manual)”

You already knew the answer before you posted . . .

Hi. I noticed @RIMDToyota‌ has posted a bunch of questions about several different subjects since he registered about a week and a half ago. Based on my research, I’m not convinced he’s trying to rile anybody up, though I know his pattern is different from the typical one-and-done new member who asks a question and moves on. I think he’s got a lot of questions and doesn’t have a lot of car knowledge, which can mimic our most commonly seen style of troll.

@RIMDToyota‌, if I’m wrong, please be mindful of the good faith in which people have taken your questions. To others who may be impatient or suspicious, I’ll keep an eye on it and if the questions appear insincere, I’ll go from there. You’re also not obligated to answer any more questions from the user if you don’t think they’re being asked sincerely.

Yeah, but he’s been getting good advice, and he’s not really taking it

he doesn’t seem to accept/and or like some of the answers he’s gotten

And he’s also looking for “silver bullets” which don’t exit for his situation

we’ve explained all this to him, and it’s getting real old, real fast

I’m not sure he’s a troll, either

But I think he’s deluded in thinking there are quick, easy, cheap answers for the questions he’s asking

As much as everybody here likes to help, I do not see any reason not using google for a basic research about the question at hand.

When I post a question, it is because I have not gotten my specific question answered by searching online, including car specific forums and come here to use the expertise. I

f you post a question that has been answered before on any site, most forums would grill you and have a warning stating this.

The easy answer is yes, take the belt off and have it subjected to an analysis by a lab to determine it’s strength and fitness. But that implies removal, which begs the question . . why? Timing belts are a compromise by engineers and car makers to do a variety of things like cut down on engine noise, make for a different design of the engine. Some folks even feel it;s a conspiracy by car makers to make us buy more new cars, or a conspiracy by mechanics for more work. From my end, I don’t care for timing belts so in my last search for a new vehicle I opted for a motor with a timing CHAIN, I got sick of changing the belts in my Honda cars every 60k. But I’m a bit eccentric I suppose and I actually think through my car stuff. I also opted for no power windows, no chipped ignition, basic transportation which can be fixed easily. Back to your question . . . any warnings? NOPE. Any visual inspection? NOPE. The car makers and engineers measured this by taking timing belts to their limits and found this time/mileage to be adequate. Don’t bet against them, you’ll regret it. Rocketman

The ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION…IS… YOU DONT KNOW WHEN THE T-BELT WILL FAIL.

Outside of any SEVERE visible Damage to the belt…If everything is running as it should be…There will be NO warning prior to T-Belt Failure. I think everyone on this site will agree with this statement. If you can see any type of T-Belt damage…then it is time for IMMEDIATE T-Belt replacement AND ALSO…Time to find out what has caused this physical damage. Age and Mileage are the indicators of needed T-Belt replacement.

Dont even TRY to keep looking at the belt and guessing when it will snap or deteriorate to the point of failure. As others have stated…Age and mileage will dictate when you will remove a healthy LOOKING T-Belt and replacing it with a brand new one. Sorry there isnt different or more appealing news for you on this subject…But belts are NOT like chains…chains will produce a number of symptoms for you to notice before the need to replace the chain.

Blackbird

I’m going against the grain here and say yes, you can inspect the belt. But even if it looks good, that is no guarantee that it won’t break the next time you start the engine.

Belts are made of several materials, one of which is rubber. Rubber will breakdown over time. How long depends on environmental conditions. Those in hot humid climate probably experience belt failure sooner than those is dry mild climates, although when the engine is up to operating temperature, the outside climate does not matter. It only counts when the engine is cold and off.

Belts will stretch with use and if the belt is a little loose on the pulley, it needs to be replaced even if it looks good, but it did have a belt that a section of the teeth stripped off but the belt was still tight against the pulley. Fortunately for me it was a non interference engine, but this happened during an ice storm and I was on a freeway a long way from the nearest town and there was almost not one driving that day. If I hadn’t happen to have a winter sleeping bag with me, I might not have gotten rescued in time. It was several hours before anyone came along that stopped to check.

But anyway, here is a link on a different timing belt that I posted. I changed it before it broke, it may have lasted longer but I did not want to take a chance.

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2288313/timing-belt-cracks/p1

@MikeInNH

I do see posting about timing belt failures at 50K miles and some are going beyond 150K miles.

That was the reason I posted this.

@Honda Blackbird

If I am in the market for another car, I will look for car with timing chain. It is good idea, but my car has timing belt.

@keith

I'm going against the grain here and say yes, you can inspect the belt.

I did review your link. Did you take these photos middle of timing belt job?

I find some folks saying we can inspect timing belt, by pulling upper timing belt cover. Is it possible to do that without removing engine mount, and alternator?

How did you inspect the timing belt?

Thanks foe sharing

Anybody taking their timing belt beyond 150k is a fool

I do not apologize for that statement

I do see posting about timing belt failures at 50K miles and some are going beyond 150K miles.

That was the reason I posted this.

So what…Just because some can go past the recommended doesn’t mean they all can. It’s your vehicle…you want to play russian-roulette - go right ahead.

I'm going against the grain here and say yes, you can inspect the belt. But even if it looks good, that is no guarantee that it won't break the next time you start the engine.

So yes you can inspect it…but it doesn’t do any good. IF there are signs that the belt is worn you may see them…the problem is…there’s usually know visible signs. Chances are there will be ZERO visible signs…even if vehicle is well past it’s due date/mileage. If there are signs of it breaking…then change it immediately. If there are no signs (most probable) and it’s past the mileage or recommended years…then change it immediately.

So in my opinion…inspecting a timing belt is a complete waste of time and money and accomplishes NOTHING.

An opinion about RIMD. I truly think he/she is someone for whom English is a struggle, who is trying desperately to get help help in getting a vehicle usable, and trying to do so with very limited vehicle knowledge and very limited budget. The seemingly random nature of the questions is, I think, a byproduct of the struggles.

I for one welcome people in his/her situation to come here for automotive assistance, and will do the best I can to help. I’d far rather show compassion and be wrong than to shut him/her out and leave a person pleading for help “out in the cold”. This, is, after all, a forum for helping people with automotive problems. The key operative word here is PEOPLE… this is a human being that needs help. Let’s try to help. If my impression of RIMD turns out to be wrong, than so be it.

Remember, the thing that separates the “men from the boys” is helping someone when it’s DIFFICULT, not when it’s easy.

The best practice with a timing belt is to simply change it as scheduled. If you plan to change it yourself, be sure you have a good maintenance manual (or instructions) and the necessary proper tools. If the cost of a manual is prohibitive, perhaps if you ask really nicely a dealer parts guy will show goodwill and print the manufacturer’s procedure for you. These are generally written for experienced mechanics, but it can’t hurt to try reading it with a friend helping to interpret it and to fill in the things that a shop manual leaves out, assuming the user already knows them. Perhaps a parts store will have the specialty tools available for rent.

And please, don’t hesitate to ask questions.

1 Like

I have owned cars that had a value less than the cost of getting the timing belt replaced. One was a 1992 Plymouth minivan with the 3.0 V6. I was offered $200 for it in trade when it had 120000 miles on it. I declined the deal, didn’t buy a new car and drove it two more years. I then sold it to my son for $200 to use as a work car and he drove it 4 years and junked it with 180,000 miles on it still with the original timing belt.
Only a fool would spend $600 or more for repair on a car not worth more than that. I stand by that statement.