Timing Belt replacement issues!

OK4450, it sound like your coworker’s flat-rate job wasn’t his primary income, just a free supply chain and a “front” for his real business.

I’d have a very hard time calling him a “great guy” in ANY respect. Crooks don’t fit well into my definition of that term.

I would almost be tempted to destroy the old parts if I had a coworker like that. Take an old timing belt off? First thing is to CUT it so it can’t be used again.

With this guy, the best approach is to NOT accept any used parts from him, under no circumstances. Ever

Here’s another upsetting thing he does . . . You know how many automatic transmissions have those reusable pan gaskets, the ones with the metal core, covered with rubber. The ones you can reuse countless times

Anyways, we stock WIX transmission filter kits. The problem is those filter kits include a regular rubber or cork pan gasket. I reuse the factory gaskets, because they are higher quality than the cheapos included in the kit.

This guy uses the cheapo wix gasket. And he keeps the high quality factory gasket, to sell

Yup, he’s also dishonest

:frowning:

I always keep my old parts but limit it to one shelf-just in case I need it. Once I used a wire out of an old set I had replaced but think thats about it. I’ve got a Keurig coffee pot that I planned to fix that has been long replaced, and a kerosene heater with a lot of good parts that has been replaced. I’ve got parts for stuff I don’t have anymore but I got rid of most of them. I’ve got a lawn sweeper too that has been replaced. Really don’t know what to do with some of this stuff. Won’t fit in the garbage. The couple of computers, and three TVs though are just waiting for the annual free recycling. Ugh.

I keep a selection of parts, but only the ones that are obvious that they are good.

I have a box full of old wire and cable clamps, in case I break one.
A box of brake springs that were extras or taken off of other cars…but only the ones new enough where the factory paint still shows.
I’ve lost a few that went zinging across the shop…never to be found again. Those old ones came in handy.

I’ll keep metric bolts and nuts, but only the rust free ones. I sort them into drawers and if I need one it’s right there, instead of running to town.

As far as belts go. I keep the old serpentine belt from all our cars when I replace it. I put the old one into the sleeve that the new one came in and I stow it under the hood somewhere. If I need one while on a trip, I have that one to get to the nearest parts store or home with.

Everything else gets thrown out or into the recycle bins. I hate trying to remember what that part went to and if it’s good. So I don’t keep much around. You just waste time and effort.

I know a few guys that keep everything good or bad. That would drive me nuts.

Yosemite

This guy uses the cheapo wix gasket. And he keeps the high quality factory gasket, to sell

To whom? For how much? There’s a market for transmission pan gaskets without filters?

Every transmission filter that I bought for a front drive Chrysler product came with a new gasket.

Chrysler says not to use a gasket, just use oil resistant RTV. Have not had one leak yet.

@asemaster

This guy will try to find a way to make a profit on every little thing

He literally dives into dumpsters, looking for stuff he can sell

This next statement is a judgement call, and not everybody will agree with me . . .

He earns enough money, so that he shouldn’t be diving into dumpsters. He doesn’t need the money. If he stopped diving into dumpsters, he would not be in financial dire straits

I remember one time, at the Benz dealership, the porter also was a dumpster diver. One time they called him on his intercom device, and told him bring such and such car up to the service drive

The phone rang, but customers didn’t see where the phone was. Next thing you know, the porter is crawling out of the dumpster, looking like a real scumbag. Then he answered the phone, and said “I’m on my way.” The customers saw him get into that car and drive it up to the service drive. Needless to say, they were both shocked and disgusted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they NEVER brought their car for service again

“Chrysler says not to use a gasket, just use oil resistant RTV.”

Many Ford and Mazda transmissions are the same way, but there are good aftermarket gaskets out there for them, also

:grin:

The Geo Metro/Suzuki Swifts are this way with the oil pans. You can buy oil pan gaskets but they can actually cause problems with the 1996 and newer models because it messes with the crank sensor. Just use RTV and throw the gasket in the trash.

I scrap all my old car parts that are extras or simply worn out. If there is a lot of aluminum, I try to pull all the steel parts off as it is worth a LOT more. This guy should do that vs. selling them. I get so frustrated trying to sell almost worthless stuff and then have people want to haggle you down even more. I would rather save up a large load and take it in all at once.

@cwatkin

as a matter of fact . . .

At this particular jobsite, it’s illegal to take stuff from the metal bin home

It was explained to us verbally, and I recall there were at least 2 reasons

My employer has a contract with a company which picks up the metal

The stuff in the metal bin is not the mechanic’s property, so taking stuff could be interpreted as theft

My previous job, the same rules were in effect

Realistically, taking a few old bolts is probably “okay” . . . but regularly taking old radiators, rims, fuel tanks, etc. and selling them is literally depriving the metal guy of his livelihood

And if you did that , you would be a scumbag

Come to think of it, there was a third reason . . . if you take stuff out of the metal bin, your boss and others are going to wonder if those old parts were bad and needed replacing in the first place

:angry:

If I worked next to a guy that was saving a lot of old parts, I’d wonder if he had a car just like it and was saving old 10K mile spark plugs for his own tune up. Or a family members car.

I’d wonder if he’s replacing parts that were not faulty at all. That would gave all the mechanic’s a bad name.

Yosemite

@Yosemite

I guarantee you 100% he doesn’t have “a car just like it and was saving old 10K mile spark plugs for his own tune up . . .”

He’s saving those parts, so that he can sell them

Oh, I forgot to mention something . . .

This guy is a thief

No doubt about it

Countless times over the years, he’s gone to the warehouse and charged out tools, oil, paint, and other supplies to repair orders for our fleet vehicles

But obviously the stuff is for him, to take home, for his own use or what have you

Several times, the supervisor would see that stuff, look him straight in the eye and say “Don’t take that stuff home.”

As soon as the supervisor turned his back, he’d load that stuff in his car

This is a true story that took place in Nigeria in the early 90s. A colleague had a brand new Chevy Suburban and took it in for its first service, but not at the dealer. When he got the car back, it felt sluggish! Opening the hood revealed that his engine had been removed and replaced with a worn out one, which had been repainted the same color.

Not sure what recourse he had. The police in that country are some of the worst crooks and judges are easily bribed.

@db4690; I was not talking specifically about your coworker, but in general terms.

Yosemite