Timing Belt - Honda Odyssey & Acura RL (Year = 2000)

I own 2 Honda vehicles with about 85,000. I have heard that the timing belts should be replaced. Is that absolutely needed? Aside from the engine stopping, what will happen if the belt breaks? Can’t you simply replace it when it breaks?

Thanks.

There were some 60K mile change intervals 10 years ago.

Generally, I’d say that BOTH vehicles are overdue on time, which is typically 7-8 years.

Check both owner’s manuals for the vehicle sepcific information.

It depends on one factor…do you have an interference engine? If it’s an interference engine the pistons will contact the valves and destroy your engine. If you are traveling at a high rate of speed then you could be involved in a horrible crash as well. Both of your vehicles have interference engines so you need to follow the recommended replacement schedule. You will be replacing engines if you don’t.

Agree that you are overdue on both. Hondas normally need new timing belts at 75,000 miles or 7 years latest. The new ones might be a little different. Most Hond/Acura engines will sustain severe and expensive damage if the belt breaks. Ususally $2500-$3500.

I would replace both, along the the water pump (if it is driven by the belt and the tensioner). These are sold as a kit and will cost about $500-$700 or so depending on the vehicle. Not doing this will cost you a great deal more in the long run.

There is no need to go to the dealer for this service. A good independent garage will do this for much less than a dealer would charge, since it is a common maintenance task now.

You are overdue on time, miles recommended is 105K.

Both engines are interference engines. If the belt breaks the valves and pistons collide and that means an new or replacement engine. A broken belt produces severe damage and there is no way to avoid it, you can’t stop the engine fast enough.

On 2000, 10 year old cars a new motor will be close to or exceed the value of the car. This means broken belt would likely result in a decision to pay out big bucks or sell what’s left of the car to a salvage yard (won’t get you much $$$) or donate the car to charity.

Yes, it’s critically important that the timing belts be replaced on these vehicles at the intervals specified in the maintenance schedule. Honda engines are an interference design, and if the timing belt breaks the valves and pistons will collide, resulting in very expensive internal engine damage.

You can’t wait until it breaks. You must replace it before it breaks or the cost will be enormous. Please note there is a mileage interval and a time interval for timing belt replacement. Go by whichever comes first. This is too important, and too expensive, to gamble with.

Could somebody please explain to me why people can’t open their glove compartment, take out the Owner’s Manual, and read exactly what we are telling them?

I will grant you that the manual does not discuss the concept of an interference engine and the implications for that engine when the belt snaps, but there is nothing ambiguous about the manual’s wording, “Replace timing belt every 105k miles or 7 years, whichever comes first”.