Timing Belt / 2011 Subaru Impreza

My 2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i is currently at 97K miles. Subaru recommends I change the timing belt at 105K miles, so I’m doing some research on the project.

• How much should I expect to pay an independent mechanic for the labor?
• What else should be replaced with the timing belt in a 2011 Subaru Impreza?

I’m purchasing the parts myself, because I’ve found it much cheaper than having a mechanic order them. I currently have the following ready to order:

1. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R8HMAY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OHD16BTZP52R&coliid=I3CKE9W7I8I971
  2. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A09PNY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OHD16BTZP52R&coliid=I39S2EABJDFPIQ

What else do I need to order, specifically?

Have you confirmed that your mechanic will use parts that you bring in? Many of them won’t. I suspect that some of them would also give you a higher labor cost to make up for the loss of profit on the parts.

More important, keep in mind that if something goes wrong with a part, you’ll be paying the labor twice, as your mechanic will be under no obligation to correct the problem. The labor is likely the major expense here, so this is a risk that needs to be considered. I know that I wouldn’t take this risk myself.

Many mechanics will not install parts you supply. The rest will offer zero guarantee and may charge extra.

The only labor charge estimate that means anything will be from the place doing the work.

Also, a good mechanic knows which aftermarket parts to use. Many are poorly made and will fail quickly. You have no idea if the parts from amazon are good or poor. Large risk, since a poor timing belt (or tensioner) could fail early and that could mean your engine is toast.

ALL ADVICE GIVEN SO FAR IS DEAD ON ACCURATE

Aside from this… Just look on Ebay or anywhere you like really …For a T belt KIT… It will include the T belt, T belt Tensioner, Idler bearings and water Pump

What the Kits FAIL to provide commonly? They fail to provide the Camshaft Seals and Front Main Seal for the Crank. I always replace these items…because ANY failure of ANY item under that T Belt cover will destroy the belt and possibly cause severe engine damage. You dont want any part under the T Belt cover to fail…so they get replaced.

Blackbird

Okay, I’m assuming the risk. I’m purchasing good, quality parts. So, I need the timing belt kit, water pump, camshaft seal, and front main seal. Do I need to replace serpentine, v-belt, and thermostat?

Not really…those items are easily accessed after the fact. If they need replacement…do it… if not… You can do them later. I would leave them alone if they are OK. Theres no trouble or issue doing them as needed.

Blackbird

Is there a front main seal on an Impreza? (It may be a stupid question, but I can’t seem to find anything but a rear main seal.)

Yes indeedy

It may be called “Front Crankshaft Seal” or Front Main… Same part…

Oops and sometimes the oil pump is driven by the front of the crank…so the seal is called the oil pump seal…

Basically just call subaru…and tell them you are removing your Harmonic Damper…and you want the seal directly behind this Damper… Who knows what name they give the seal… He will have an exploded parts diagram in front of him…so when you say “Behind the Harmonic Damper” He or she will know what seal you mean.

Blackbird

Is the oil pump seal, camshaft seal, and crankshaft seal, three different seals? Again, I appreciate the help.

Dont quote me on the oil pump seal… Some mfgs have the oil pump right behind the front damper…not sure of your engine… So lets call your seal the Front Damper seal (Crank Seal, Damper Seal whatever)

You would have the Camshaft seals (2 of them) … and the Front Main Seal (1 seal) (Damper Seal, Crank Seal are other names) Just call Subaru and ask for the Seal BEHIND the Harmonic Damper…also call it the Front Main Seal… They will know what you mean.

Blackbird

You may not like this but many shops or mechanics will not install customer provided parts, may do it with a bad attitude, and/or with the stipulation that the warranty is up the minute the hood goes down and before the key is turned.

A shop provides parts and marks the prices up. If a shop did nothing but install customer provided parts even half the time they would likely soon be bankrupt and shutting the doors for good.
They could double their labor rates to offset that problem but that is not going to set well with the customer either.

The thermostat is in the water pump. You don’t want to take the t-stat out of your old water pump and install it in the new one. Get a new t-stat, drive belts, coolant, bypass hose and radiator hoses. Since you’re getting such a good deal on parts might as well replace the radiator cap as well. And then find a shop to install them.

I once had someone ask for a written estimate for a t-belt job on a Honda Accord. He made an appointment, then showed up with all his own parts. I took a minute and gave him a revised estimate for the labor only, which was 50% higher than the labor on the estimate I gave him days earlier. I then asked him to sign the estimate indicating no warranty on parts or labor for the job. Funny thing, he didn’t have us do the work.

If I wanted to provide parts, I would make sure the shop would install them when I got the original estimate. I know it is uncommon for the customer to supply parts and I would want to have the best relationship possible when the job starts. If the mechanic should fully disclose the conditions of the job, the customer should too. Business relationships are a two way street.

I’m well aware that a mechanic could potentially mark up the labor to make up profit for my own parts, however, that’s not the case here. I have an old family friend, ASE certified mechanic (20+ years), that owns his own shop, that is going to do the labor. He quoted me $150 for the labor, if I bring my own parts. I didn’t think about him until yesterday, after posting this thread.

Now, to the parts, I’m ordering mainly Gates parts. They have numerous good reviews, and have been around for quite a long time. Not to mention, they offer a 12-month, 12,000 mile warranty on all of their new parts.

Again, I appreciate the advice, but I’m at the point of no longer asking the price (or anything about the mechanic liability), and I’m simply curious about what I need to order.

Last night, after a discussion with Blackbird earlier in the thread, I ordered a timing belt kit, water pump (w/ gasket), two camshaft seals, and a crankshaft seal. I plan on ordering a new OEM thermostat (w/ new gasket).

I’m not trying to replace every part on the way to the timing belt, just anything past the timing belt that’s essentially a quick replacement, that I can’t get to only by removing the timing belt. That said, I’m not looking to replace the drive belts, because they’re not what I would consider essential. If they break, the car will still run when they’re replaced, as opposed to a broken timing belt which could cause permanent damage.

Either way, I want to make it clear that I’m appreciative for the input.

That said, I’m not looking to replace the drive belts, because they’re not what I would consider essential. If they break, the car will still run when they’re replaced, as opposed to a broken timing belt which could cause permanent damage.

True, but they have to be removed to do the timing belt job, and a couple of belts will only set you back $20 since you’re getting your own parts. Same thing with the radiator hoses. Shops don’t add parts like this to pad the bill, we do it to provide a proper, long-lasting repair and avoid any surprises down the road. The tow bill for a broken belt or hose will be 3 times the cost of the parts today.

Now, to the parts, I’m ordering mainly Gates parts. They have numerous good reviews, and have been around for quite a long time. Not to mention, they offer a 12-month, 12,000 mile warranty on all of their new parts.

That’s fine, but I find internet parts warranties to be almost useless. Is Amazon going to tow your car in for free and replace any faulty parts? That’s where the hassle is. I have a customer whose Ford A/C heater fan quit working. I gave him an estimate to fix it using Motorcraft parts. He found an aftermarket part on Amazon for $150 less than the Motorcraft and asked me to install it for him. I did, and a week later, the part failed. Amazon’s warranty stated that he had to remove the old part, return it, and wait for a replacement. So in the hottest month of the year he had 2 weeks with no A/C, and had to pay me labor again to replace the part.

“So in the hottest month of the year he had 2 weeks with no A/C, and had to pay me labor again to replace the part”

My rejoinder to the folks who advocate that sort of…thriftiness…is:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can’t afford to save that much money.

;-))

" I have an old friend who owns his own shop to do the work " Ok why does the OP not have the mechanic just make him a list of parts or better yet just order the parts and have the OP pay what the mechanic paid.

Ok why does the OP not have the mechanic just make him a list of parts or better yet just order the parts and have the OP pay what the mechanic paid.
Simple! Because I thought I could come to CarTalk and have a conversation about what's needed, and why, as opposed to people such as yourself saying, "Just ask your mechanic."