Time to trade 2006 Honda Accord?

I didn’t send this one but thank you.

Thank you.

As an owner of a 2007 Accord and also a 2003 both the same generation as your daughter’s, I understand why you feel it may be time. Our '07 has about the same mileage as the one you have and it feels very tired. The '03 fell apart at about 60 K including needed a transmission. I ditched it. What was once a very modern vehicle now feels outdated and isn’t even close to the level of infotainment a younger driver would prefer. I would suggest a car that I have tested in almost every trim, the Civic by Honda. It is a very large car now, particularly the hatchback. I’m not exaggerating, its interior volume puts in the EPA Large car class and the '07 Accord is a Midsize by comparison. In my testing, I got 37 MPG in combined real world driving over a week in a variety of conditions in the hatch and 40 MPH in the sedan. Civic also scored Good on every IIHS crash test. The Civic is relatively affordable. I’d suggest the 1.5T engine and CVT, but the stick shift is fun if that’s what she wants to drive. Tell your daughter it has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. She may be interested to know that. The Corolla does not. Decent Civics will run anywhere from about $20K to about $23K after dealer discounts. You don’t need to spend more to get a lot of content. Do not be tempted to get an LX base model. Let us know if you make the leap.

Just saying Thanks everyone will save you time and web space.

Once a car is over 10, I don’t have a problem if somebody wants to replace it (as long as they can afford it).

It must be how one maintains their car. Not saying you do not, some people love the new car smell, etc. I have friends who buy a new car every 5 years and they only change the oil well passed the due date, and drive on the tires until the tire shop wont let them leave. Of course then a car will feel tired.

I personally drive my cars until 15 years, 250,000 miles, and they never feel tired.

Doesn’t California have a large tax credit/rebate and car pool lane usage for some?

Correct me if I am wrong, it might be more of a younger driver’s perspective - and possibly an outlier example.

I have a 30yr old Acura - it might look like an grandpa car with original paint but drives like a hell - I had to replace the Fuel Injector and then the Radiator one at a time - each time I felt that more power is coming from nowhere.

Tranny failure on Honda: Maintenance - change the fluid every 2 yrs with Honda fluid. It is easier than oil change that I do it myself but take it to a mechanic for oil change. Another guy has a Honda with 700k miles and everything original. He puts 35k/year and flushes/changes Tranny fluid yearly himself.

Also, Honda engine works perfectly well on Mobil 1

Infotainment, just go to Bestbuy and get the latest and they are installing it for free.

In the case of the 03 V6 Accords, Odysseys, and the Acura TLs that had the defective Honda 5-speed transmissions, maintenance had nothing to do with failure rate. My Accord had been maintained by the dealer according to the Honda manual. Google search the topic for more info. The '07’s transmission has been OK so far, though Honda did replace the timing belt at 11K miles because it was contacting something. The cover I think. And both mufflers were replaced because each had a dislodged part inside. And the car had water leaks in the driver’s side door seal. No cost to me for that list of defects. I bought an extended warranty on that car after the '03’s trans quit.

@GorehamJ - thanks for the details and it proves that it is an outlier example.
What happened to the 03 Accord Tranny - did u buy the car new - how was the tranny maintained?

The weak element in a Honda is its Trannny - if you take care of it - either maintenance or warranty, you are fine. Good news is that there are so many Hondas, so many mechanics - bring the price down.

I recently acquired a Mazda and find Tranny fluid is more expensive (fluids in general) than Honda - hardly any mechanics.

I had a 2005 Accord EX V6. At 180,000 miles, I traded it in because I didn’t want to put a second timing belt in it at 210,000 miles. It still ran very well. In fact, the used car manager commented on how well the drive train ran for a car with high mileage. I really didn’t have “repairs” until after 140,000 miles. I replaced two brake calipers and the hood struts. I put repairs in quotes because at that mileage I consider those issues maintenance items. My message is that your daughter’s Accord should giver her several more years of good service and even the items I mentioned above would total far less than $1000 if you paid a mechanic to replace them. If she has been diligent with maintenance, it should have several years left in it.

Their 2004 Corolla had definitely been reliable for 14 years, but had started to develop some niggles, slow cranking, squeaks and squawks from the engine compartment for 30 seconds or so until it warmed up, brakes needed new pads, transmission needed a servicing, stuff like that. Their motivation was that they just didn’t want to deal with the time it would take out of their personal schedule to have the problems fixed; they’d rather spend their time working on their careers and spending whatever other precious time available enjoying family. These folks worked fast. Once they decided to buy a new car, they had it in their driveway within a week, and had sold the 2004 to a friend of a friend.

Not me but thank you.

Thank you.

I think so. Thank you.

Yes, true. Thank you.

True. Thank you.

Sure I will thank you.

Thank you.

I think I see an example of why I selected NO to email notifications.

2 Likes