Time to retire my '93 Civic?

Steering racks were common in this vintage Civic(92-95) at less years. Mine was failing starting at 160k miles/7 years however I ignored it. Two friends had theirs replaced. This was in New England.

It’s a California car, so, no winter, no salt. As for rough roads, well, L.A. does have lots of potholes, and driving on the 5 feels like off-roading.

Perhaps I was indeed ripped off, then, because I was told the steering rack issue was a safety issue, and since I’d started commuting 65 miles a day on L.A. freeways, I was very concerned about safety.

A leaking steering rack can be be a safety item. I don’t think you got ripped off. There are varying degrees of course of a failing steering rack.

I don’t really know why they would consider the steering rack a safety factor unless the tie rod ends are worn out(replaceable separately) or the inner tie rod ball sockets are so worn that the handling of the car is very squirrelly.
The car will have a tendency to wander all over the road.

If it’s that bad then it should be very noticeable when you drove it and the tire tread should be badly and oddly worn.

Hadn’t noticed a thing. Just like when the same shop more recently did my brake work, they were amazed that I hadn’t noticed any problems with my brakes and cautioned me to be very careful after picking up the car after the repair, because the brakes were so much better that I’d inadvertently throw myself through the windshield.

Again, hadn’t noticed any problems, didn’t notice any change.

Don’t know why I can’t get this to post under your post, about weather and road conditions:

It’s a California car; so, no winter, no salt. As for rough roads, L.A. does have lots of potholes, and driving on the 5 does feel like off-roading, even though it’s a freeway.

You struck home with this question. I have been driving a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 11 years. Replaced the engine some years ago. It has 189,900. miles on it. Three weeks ago the rear went. Finally, a part was found. A used part cost $400. and $75. to remove the old part and about $500. for labor. Needless to say, I’v decided not to replace it. If I have it fixed I’m sure it will run for some time. The issue here is “parts are getting hard to find”. Only a 1993 rear fits that model. At some point repairs cost more than the vehicle. I have enjoyed driving my Jeep and believe it served me well.
Hope this helps.

As an owner of a '92 Accord with 226k miles and a '98 Accord with 180k miles, both bought new, I’d like to offer a sage observation.

Cars don’t last this long by chance. It’s not like one day you look at the odometer and are surprised to see a big number. There are many times when it’s necessary to weigh the cost (and bother) of a repair against the cost (and bother) of buying another car. I’ve gone through this decision many times, as well as all owners of high mileage cars. It’s a gut check every time.

There is no right or wrong answer. You’ve got to figure all the alternatives and make the best decision for you.

I agree with this very sage piece of advice. There is NO right answer, just a sorting out of priorities and a listening to your gut. Believe me, I’ve just gone through the same thing–albeit with a 1992 Toyota Corolla that has 175K miles and the original clutch. I’d be driving it still if the rust wasn’t gaining more ground than I was. But here in ME/NH without a garage … when the guys who do body work tell me there was no more metal to attach patches to, I got the hint. The thing that kills me is that I know in my heart this car’s engine would go another 100K miles. I bought a used 2005 Scion xA with less than 14K miles, with a lot of bells and whistles (like, seatbelts that aren’t frayed, power windows–I’ve joined the 20th century–and CD player) but I already miss the heaviness of my Corolla, its terrific pickup, the fact that there are NO blind spots, the thin steering wheel. Don’t just weigh the financial aspects when you make the decision.

My experience with a Honda Civic LX was excellent. It was '91 4-dr auto. I had the usual repairs, a/c compressor, water pump,timing belts(3) spaced evenly. But at 319,000 miles, my transmission needed to be repaired. It cost me $1400.00. Soon after, I decided to sell it. I still got $2k for it and it drove off in real good shape. So 125,000 is pretty low for your Civic. Good luck.