Time to put the old dog down?

Got a 1991 Toyota Carolla wgn. Love the car great mileage. Since I moved to Charlestown, Ma , have had to park on the street & it shows. Let a friend keep his dog in the car. Big mistake as it devored the rear seat. Just took it to gargage whne brakes died. Mechanic said brake lines were rusted/corroded & should all be replaced $800 ±. Pretty sure timing belt is due. Keep it or junk it?

Kelly Blue Book says: $22+. to $31+.

Whether or not to keep it and do the repairs will depend on how much else is worn out/rusted away.

Plus, can you afford to buy ‘new’ one? If you think you can, I say go for it.

This is JMHO but I would say goodbye to the old girl. It likely doesn’t owe you anything.

Rust Is What Has Always, Eventually Killed My Cars
For me, the engines and transmissions run 200,000 to 300,000, but in that range somewhere, is when the rust really takes hold and makes the car dangerous. Weakened body members are dangerous in an accident and rusted brake and fuel lines can be hazardous to one’s health, too. You could replace some brake lines, but usually when they become a problem the rust has attacked other vital organs of your car. Look over the entire car, top and bottom. If it’s mainly just brake lines that are bad, you can replace them and throw on a timing belt. If it has scary rust, consider allowing your car to become an organ donor at the local salvage yard.

If you want a new car junk it. You absolutely need to spend $800 to make it drivable/safe otherwise. The key question is if this engine has an interference design or not. If not I would forgo the timing belt on something this old.