Time to change my break pads? can never tell

That one looks just fine, but there are 3 more at that end of the car, plus the 4 at the other end.

2 Likes

Just for this one (1) brake pad pictured, how did you make the determination that it is fine?

There is a layer of friction material bonded to a steel backing plate to form the brake pad. You replace the brake pads (all 4 across the axle) at the same time when the layer of friction material is thinner than 2.5 mm or 0.100 inches. Some pads have a metal tab that rubs on the brake rotor and makes a VERY annoying noise to remind you to replace them.

The pad in the picture looks to have the steel plate edge visible in the picture and the lining is equally thick to the left of it.

1 Like

It would be much better find someone who knows and have them show you in person. You don’t want any misunderstandings where brakes are concerned.

3 Likes

Because the brake lining appears to be 6-8mm thick. Minimum pad thickness is generally 2mm. New pads are generally 8-10mm.

1 Like

Be sure to check both ends of each pad. Uneven wear indicates problems.

3 Likes

Thank you for the detailed answer

1 Like

Good to know, thank you

Unless you have changed pads yourself it can be a little hard to visualize what you are looking at. It’s also sometimes hard to tell unless the wheel is off. So when I have my tires rotated every 6000 miles, I just ask them the condition of the brake (not break) pads.

1 Like

No Kia experience, but I can assess the amount of friction material remaining of both front pads (on the same wheel) on my Corolla by just taking the wheel off & looking through an inspection hole at the front end of the caliper. On my Corolla this takes some experience to interpret what you are seeing. On other Toyotas (like on the truck in the vdo below) though, you inspect from the rearof the caliper, and it appears to be pretty obvious what you are seeing. Next time you have a wheel removed, suggest to take a look, maybe Kia offers a similar inspection hole for your car.

BTW, the method shown in the vdo isn’t the way I change brake pads. I doubt if that is the method Toyota recommends for that particular design. On my Corolla I follow Toyota’s recommendations & position the caliper away from the disc first.

Think in several months I will take the pads off and compare them to brand new pads, if significant difference will replace, if no significant difference will return

1 Like