Thoughts on buying a Used Camaro

I hope you do it. Given your back story, you are in the perfect frame of mind and time of life to own a Camaro. Depending on what Camaro you choose (SS vs 1LS for example, coupe vs convertible, etc), you might be able to get a certified Pre-owned Camaro from a dealer. The upside is you would have a full warranty for a while. Long enough to have GM pay for the fix of any major issues it might already have. Having tested Camaros on and off track, I prefer the V8 models. The turbo fours and V6 ones are fine, but for me, a Camaro should have a V8.

The great news for you is the Camaro is a relatively complaint-free used car. Here is a link to CarTalks partner site, CarComplaints. The 2010 has the highest rate of complaints, but even that year is crazy-low. Follow the smart advice from the many members above, but do it!

I didn’t see any note where you mentioned cash on hand. If you have some cash on hand (like $3K) and are working in a steady job, consider leasing a sick 2017 Camaro SS and give it back in three years after you beat the snot out of it. Or baby it and buy out the lease when you are earning more in a few years and keep it forever. Your second comment mentioned you don’t have a long commute. Leases work well for those that have low miles per year.

1 Like

[quote=“jtsanders, post:20, topic:104196”]
Where do you live?
[/quote] I am in Northeast Ohio. The snow can get pretty crazy. I have all weather tires on my Impala. I know a few people in my neighborhood with them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them out in the snow, but I will have to ask.

@gorehamj thanks! I didn’t know about that site! Also, I could do a cash down payment, or the such. I will consider your options.

Thanks again to all who have participated in this discussion! I would’ve never thought so many people would offer great advice! :grinning:

1 Like

Wow! That is unbelievable! Glad you made it out unharmed!

Check to see if your Impala winter rims will fit on the Camaro. You might save some money if they do.

For some reason I am reminded of a car I bought used from my eldest brother. I forget the year, but it was a sedan 396SS, Chevrolet, with Positraction. I could not afford new tries, so I essentially had to park it when the streets were not perfectly clean and dry. Any slippery at all, and the back end would seek the ditch.

Yet, I could get in the old Bel Air and drive around with no problems.

I encountered more smart alecks who knew nothing, with that car, than anything I ever owned.

People. 100% of whom had never driven a car with Positraction, informed me I simply did not know how to drive, even a few said I simply did not know good traction when I had it. Everyone I talked to who had owned and driven Positraction agreed absolutely with me. You either had studded snow tires or chains, or they were a menace in snow and ice.

My Dad’s Dodge Polara with a 383 had positraction and was very driveable in snow
if you knew what you were doing.

The implication is I didn’t know what I was doing. Good try, but no cigar. I had been driving on ice and snow since I was young, and had no problems until I got that Positraction. I could climb out of that 396, get into the Bel Air and drive away. Yet, with the Positraction, the car was all over the street. Same street, same minute, totally different results.

Actually, no, it wasn’t a good try. Just an attempt to put me down.

Two people drive with positraction on a snow-covered road.

Person A drives sucessfully.

Person B cannot control the vehicle.

Which person knows what he is doing?

;-]

1 Like

Okay, another question for you guys!

I noticed on the CarFax the car was purchased in 2010. Then in March 2011, the “engine/powertrain computer/module” was checked (I assume this is the PCM), and then June 2011 the “body electrical system” was checked. At this time the car had around 7500 miles on it. I tried to search an owners manual for a maintenance schedule, but I didn’t see anything regarding these items. Is this just regular checks or something I should worry about?

Thanks!

I had a 65 impala SS with posi and a 2 speed power glide. that car was fantastic in the snow. I think many cars with “ice” or mud modes start in 2nd gear. I got that car for almost nothing. those were the days.

Does the CarFax show a detailed history of work or just an item here and there? If the previous owner took it to the dealer for maintenance and repairs, then it is likely that it was once and fixed. Typically dealers will log all the visits into CarFax. If it is the only thing on the CarFax, then you have more reason to worry.

Just short items. I didn’t see anything else that popped out at me. Just those two things stood out. So theoretically it should be all good?

I has a Caprice with Positraction and loved it, but you don’t use a heavy foot with it. Just drive gently and you will have all the control you need.

1 Like

Don’t buy a new car, or at least buy a preowned vehicle so you can get the most financial benefit. New car depreciation skyrockets after the first few years, even you just take it off the dealer’s parking lot. Insurance is high if you’re under 25. My car is 2009 Honda Accord 4dr V6, no accidents, no tickets and I pay $230/month for full coverage. That’s the least expensive quote I find among insurance companies. As long as you drive carefully and slowly in wet weather, any wheel drive is safe. People say RWD is more dangerous because the morons keep smoking others in rainy/snowy streets and they lose control when the car is oversteer

Good grief that’s 2700 a year. How old are you ? Maybe you should rethink your modifications.

1 Like

I’m 21. Haven’t added any big mods to the car yet. Just spoilers and HID headlight. If not full coverage, it’ gonna be about $150-160

I’m not sure we are talking about the same thing. You should see a history af all the work done. If you don’t, then there might be issues with the control modules. Get a prepurchase inspection for about $125. That will include a control module check if you make sure of it.

Thank you everyone for your input on this topic! I am now the proud owner of a 2011 Camaro LT/RS! With your help, lots of research and lots of thinking, I have made a decision and found a great deal. It is beautiful car! I plan to take good care of it and keep it for a very long time!

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Congratulations! Looks like a winner! What transmission do you have? I imagine this car has the 3.6L V6, a wise choice. How do those 20-inch rims with the rubber band tires feel? You might like a rougher ride, and that won’t be an issue.

Which person knows what he is doing?

Good smart aleckness, but has little to do with reality. I had two cars at the time, and the other one was in the shop across town.We had an ice storm during the day. The positraction car was parked on a side street, which sloped down from the main drag. When I started it, the back end swung over to the curb. The car kept going, but every inch of the way, the rear end of the car was off at an angle. This only works if no cars are parked along that curb.

The Bel Air started normally, with a bit of spinning, but not much and drove up on to the main drag.

I finally got the Positraction car across town; it was a scary trip. I lived in a trailer park at the time. The street in front of my house was almost perfectly flat. As I very gingerly drove up to my home, the rear end of the car was skewed around. Unlike before, there were cars parked on the right side and to avoid them, I had to back up and try again.

It was a horrid experience, and I did not drive that car again until the streets were perfectly clear and in the summer got rid of it.

There was no good driver who could handle that car in those conditions, except in your own imagination. Let me say again, most people who had never owned or driven Postitraction, had the same smart alecky attitude you did. I either didn’t know how to drive it, or simply didn’t know good traction when I had it. Let’s face it; that’s pretty lame.

Everyone who had owned and driven Positraction agreed with my analysis. If you don’t have studded tires or chains, Positraction sucks on ice or really slippery surface. The minute you start, the rear end chews its way around to the right.

I suspect in deep snow, Positraction might work well. But, not on ice or very slippery surfaces.