Those crazy customers!

Stopped at a gas station/mini mart once and walked up to pay. Some dude comes waltzing in, butts his way to the front of the line and asks the cashier how to get to Pewaukee Lake.

Cashier: Turn right out of our parking lot and go straight, you’ll run right into it.

Dude: Can you write that down?

Cashier looks at me and then back to the dude. The two lines above get repeated several times before the guys leaves. I watch him leave, he turns left…

3 Likes

My father spent most of his life working in the retail field.
When he was in his late 50s, the store (in NYC) was held-up one afternoon by a gun-wielding felon, who proceeded to shove my father into the backroom/storage area.
According to my father’s co-worker who related the tale to me afterward, my father then proceeded to shove the felon in response.
The co-worker, Frank, said, “PLEASE tell your father to cooperate with armed robbers, and not to shove them”.

Somehow, my father survived that experience.

Years ago, a young woman walks in, places a part on the counter and asks me how much to install it on her car. I glance out the window and see a Toyota Camry sitting there. I shoot from the hip and give her a ballpark figure of $800.

She indignantly grabs the part and storms out, saying she only paid $100 for the part and ain’t no way she’s paying $800 to put it in.

The part? A head gasket set.

2 Likes

A tv repairman showed.me a tv that a customer had brought in. This was in the days of the cathode ray picture tubes. The customer had somehow broken the neck off the picture tube and wanted the TV repairman to glue it back together.

1 Like

I like your story . . . for multiple reasons

Crime does not pay

The guy got busted for selling pot, apparently . . . and indirectly for being stupid

And the others guys presumably got busted for being in possession . . . and indirectly for being thieves

Personally, I think it would have been more fitting if the thieves had gotten away, only to die when they were high as a kite, and wrapped their car around a tree :smiling_imp:

Well they’re at it again this week:

“Hi, I have a 1976 Winnebago I need to use to go visit my grandkids but the carburetor is all fouled up. Do you folks do that kind of work?”

“Yes we do.”

“Ok, great. Also someone stole my toilet. Can you help me with that?”

And today, a Camry comes in, customer states that his temp gauge is behaving weird, that it shows all the way in the red even when the car isn’t overheating. Also he notices no heat in the car, and there’s a funny noise from the engine. The service writer writes up a ticket to check out these problems, has him sign an estimate for $98.00 for diag, and tells him that we won’t spend any more than the $98 or do any other work until we talk about what we find wrong with the car. I find the gauge is working properly, the car IS overheating, there’s no coolant so no heat, and the water pump is leaking and noisy. He gets a phone call explaining all this, gets an estimate to fix it, but declines the repair. He comes to pick up his car and of course is handed an invoice detailing our findings for a total of $98.00

“Can I see what I signed? Hmm, I don’t remember signing that and no one ever told me $98.00.”

1 Like

@asemaster not sure what you guys did for the car, but that is one customer I would hope I would not need binoculars for to see the car break down, and towed to a different shop.

Agreed . . . some customers you’re better off without

Unfortunately, they’ll go to down the road motors and try to make somebody else’s life miserable :frowning2:

1 Like

I can see your frustration. The query about the toilet I guess isn’t that unreasonable. I presume it was the toilet in the Winnebago. The customer is thinking while the carb is being fixed maybe you have the capability to replace the toilet too. Two birds w/one stone, and no harm asking.

For the second customer, hard for me to understand why they’d expect the shop to spend an hour diagnosing the problem and not get billed for it. One idea, suggest to get new customers to pay the $98 diagnostic fee up front. And tell them they’ll get half that amount applied to the bill if they have the work done at your shop.

Well the conversation degraded from that point. It seems that aside from the carburetor issues that left the 1976 Winnebago not running, someone drilled out the door lock and stole his toilet, shower curtain, generator, canned food, and clothes. The man intended to tow it over, have us do what we can and just bill his insurance company.

I informed him that he could have it towed in, and for $200 paid in advance we would inspect the vehicle and provide an estimate for repairs, which he would have to pay us for and then seek reimbursement from his insurance.