This site is getting spammed

Mountainbike:
Is there anything in your browser that’s preventing this site from setting a cookie? I tend to not allow cookies and found I had to allow this site to set one in order to login.

Joe

C’mon now, noobs don’t even bother to search for existing posts with similar problems before spawning another thread. You think they’re actually researching poster integrity, something that takes even more effort?

I guess I just have more faith in people’s ability to use their own judgement in determining what makes sense.

Besides, it’s not like there’s a shortage of posters who will quickly refute any erroneous posting :wink:

Perhaps I should revise my former post on the subject.

I have no objection whatsoever about new posters posting, registering or not, I just want to see the posters handle (nickname) with the post and NOT anonymous.

You’re a valued regular here mb, we don’t want to see you leave over something this trivial.

Like some have mentioned, using a different browser to make things work.

I bought Vista home basic and the IE refuses to change the font size on websites.

After conferring with admin here, It was suggested I download Firefox and try that.

I did download it and have had no problem with staying logged in ever since and changing the font size is easy and a LOT LESS hard on my vision.

I don’t understand why this site can’t run as well as the Cartalk, Canada site does.

Have a look at it and you’ll see what I mean.
That site was overhauled a while back too but never had any of the mislaid links or glitches we have here.
I was on that site for a few years until I switched to this one (the old site I mean).

I agree, the software needs to be fixed to keep people from being logged out

That is going to be a LOT harder then you think. The software they bought from a third party vendor. That vendor isn’t going to make simple changes just for ONE customer. They’ll collect suggestions from customers and users, then make decisions on what they want to apply and what NOT to. When and IF they do make the fix it’ll probably COST this site money to upgrade it.

Yes, 20 different “anonymous” posters giving 20 different opinions. What is so bad about a sign in? It didn’t hold the old bulletin board down. The heavy handed moderation was a nuisance, but even that didn’t keep the traffic down or the new folks from finding it and asking questions.

You know the sign in doesn’t require a lot of information or anything. Just give it a name and a password you want to use and that’s it. You don’t have to give any personal info at all.

There is, Joe.

But I also think that limiting the website by allowing only registered posters will restrict the freedom of expression that currently generates so much discussion from which we all learn.

I also feel that anyone that has the lunacy to spam this website deserves to have his product exposed for what it is. And history proves that we’re pretty good about that. I’d rather see a bottle of snake oil promoted and torn apart here then have it only seen in advertisements where there’s no honest review of it.

• mountainbike

Thanks RR. I have no intention of leaving, I’d only be “history” because I’d then be unable to post. I’d be persona non-grata, unable to be recognized.

A different browser isn’t an option for me. This is part of a system of 700+ computers operated through a main server and maintained by a system administrator all by his lonesome. He’s a great guy, but he frowns on cookies.

• mountainbike