This is the Standard of Excellence?

Saw this ad while eating my lunch and just about spit it out all over my laptop.

Excellence just isn’t what it used to be.

6 Likes

Why, it’s an excellent example of a 31 year old car we’d like to forget.

2 Likes

That car has a pretty sturdy bumper, so can’t be all bad. If the monthly payment is actually $19 per month, can’t argue with that either. Probably has a computerized carb tho. Hard to diagnose.

A dealer can be known for selling cars in excellent condition.

$1,491 asking price and seems to be a local car, at least it was first titled in Seattle. The dealer’s site shows late model Escalades to old cargo vans.
1981 Ford Fairmont For Sale in Edmonds, WA - APX Auto Brokers

Lousy car when new. But at that price, if front fender, grill, etc replacement could be found, I can see the appeal for someone.
Not me.

1 Like

The ad shows a 19.00 monthly payment . That is over 6 years . Would someone really agree to that ?

I showed this to my 15 year old son and told him I found a car he can afford payments for. He looked at it and said “That would be kind of a cool car to drive.”

3 Likes

Several years ago, I was my getting oil changed at a GMC dealership.

On the showroom floor, they had about a 1986 or 1987 Camaro IROC for sale. It was cleaned, detailed, in great shape. I thought to myself, man, it’s been a long time since this one was on a showroom floor.

Kind of neat.

That has to be a joke staged by the dealer and I think they are being facetious both as to the car itself and the estimated payment. They have Benzs and Land Rovers and since the bar can never go low enough for a car dealer… :wink:
It may have been moved up front by what looks like a fork lift in the background and it’s difficult to tell but looks to me a bit nose high which could mean no engine.

Those cars were kind of popular amongst the drag racing crowd much like the late 70s and early 80s Malibus.

I’d take it, then pay it off the next day. Then proceed to spend 5~10x that in redoing what needs done and replacing what needs replaced. Money no object, thrown a modern day Mustang crate engine and transmission in that bad boy.

1 Like