Third Row of Seats!

Hi there!

I’m looking to buy a used car with a flip-up third row. We had an Olds station wagon years ago, that I hated except for that optional 3rd row of seats. I believe Ford used to make a small wagon with a “rumble seat” in the back. Do you know of one? Thanks!

You’re looking for an SUV which has replaced “station wagons” in utility. A few crossover wagon like Ford Flex and Toyota Venza models may be what you have in mind and more to your liking. They’re out there.

Sorry - I should have been more specific! I need an affordable car with decent gas milage - that rules out most SUVs and minivans! Thanks!

Mini-vans do pretty well on gas and, because so many people look at them with disdain, they are affordable used. I’ve owned them in the past and they are probably the most useful and easy to live with shape of anything on the road. Only parallel parking is a little tough. Try a used one.

I really only need the extra seats every once in a while - I hate to think of hauling around all that extra space when I don’t need them! That being said… what kind of minivan did you have that you liked?

Mazda5. Three rows, four cylinders. Decent mileage with the manual transmission. Check it out.

I think there were some Ford Taurus, Merc Sable, wagons that had small fold down seat in the rear luggage area. They are small and uncomfortable, but you may find one on the used car market.

You might also find a used Kia Rondo.

If that is the case, then just rent a mini van when you need it and buy a regular five-seat car.
Twotone

I really only need the extra seats every once in a while - I hate to think of hauling around all that extra space when I don’t need them!

I would recommend the Mazda5.