Thinking about converting a miata to electric

Yes, But how would you hop-up a Preus?

Why? If you wanted any kind of performance and handling you wouldn’t have bought a Prius to begin with.

What?

Suzuki Hyuabusa’s don’t come with V-8 engines.
They come with I-4 engines, just like what came in the Miata from the factory.

BC.

It will be much less expensive just to buy the car, and buy a replacement motor from a salvage yard, than to try and convert the car to use either an electric engine, or a motorcycle engine.

BC.

Stick an original motor in the car,be it used or rebuilt.What a head-ache this vehicle will be to maintain. You will never be able to sell it.Finding and fabricating parts will be a time consuming hassle.

Do not have a lot of expreince with it, but there is a ton of info out there on how to convert the engine you have in it to electric. I think it is a great idea. Probably could use the extra space behind the backseats to hold the batteries

I was at a cruise night last year and saw an '80s Toyota converted to all-electric. The owner did it himself, and he used an electric forklift motor and the fork lift batteries as well. It was mated somehow to the car’s original stick shift tranny, and it all worked well together. He claimed he could go around 50 miles on a charge, and had no trouble keeping up with traffic. Don’t know if he included freeway traffic in that statement. I’ve been to that cruise night many times since, but I have yet to see that car again.

We’re thinking of this:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/02/09/hayabusa-v8-engine/

An engine builder took two 4-cylinder engines and smacked 'em together for a V8.

Here’s the patent:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6969567.PN.&OS=PN/6969567&RS=PN/6969567

Note the owner.

Must have been from a really small forklift. Just the weight of the batteries (over 1300lbs. for a small 2 ton lift) would be more than an 80’s Toyota could reasonable stand. Probably haven’t seen it because it broke in half.

That’s the problem with trying to build an electric using lead-acid batteries. If you want more than a local neighborhood errand runner with more than golf cart speed, your car ends up being mostly batteries. Extending the range by trying to add more batteries makes the car heavier and that means it takes more power to move it which cancels out much of the gain.
A big battery on wheels doesn’t go much further than a small battery on wheels.

I have personally considered turning a bicycle into an electric mo-ped using lithium-ion batteries, but, after investigating the cost of the batteries needed for the range I was interested in and their expected cycle life, I figured it was much more economical to just buy a 30 cc four stroke “Weedeater?” for its engine and making a gas powered moped that gets 200+ mpg instead.