Thinking about buying a BMW i8 as a daily driver

We have no idea regarding your age or your physical condition, but if you are a “younger” person with no physical limitations, you would likely have no problem getting into or out of that vehicle. However, getting out of a financing arrangement once you belatedly found out that it wasn’t appropriate for you could be an entirely different matter.

2 Likes

I’ve worked on these since they were launched and they’ve been pretty reliable. The engine is the same as the mini and doesn’t suffer from much as long it’s run now and again ( not just driven on the battery), the high voltage system has been good the battery packs are good, we’ve seen a few A/C pumps pack up and there pricey because then run from the battery not the motor. Servicing isn’t bad apart from the auxiliary drive belt service which is required because it’s a starter generator rather than an alternator but that mostly labour. Tech wise it wasn’t that cutting edge when new so was fairly well sorted, the door support struts last about six years or so but again aren’t that expensive. The only thing I would check if you can is getting in and out there not the easiest.

1 Like

Some folks disagree:

If I wanted to spend $70,000 on a used car, I’d first want to check whether those doors would work in my garage.

1 Like

When open the top of the BMW i8 door is 78 inches or 6.5 feet.

All we had was a $2000 Chevy but dad used to hang the duck boat above the car in the garage. Too low for those doors.

Capture
3046mm = 119.9 inches, just a hair under 10 feet.

The 78 inches is doors closed not counting the mirrors.

3046mm? that’s width, not height. 1958 mm = 77"

I read @VOLVO-V70 post wrong.