Thermostat, one more time

Well, I finall got the t-stat installed properly in the '94 Taurus 6-cyl, and I got the last bit of air out of the system and the guage is nice and steady (see previous posts). But the temperature reading is well below what it used to be, even a bit below the low end of the “Normal” range. Turns out that the big chain parts store gave me a 180-deg t-stat, where their web site says OEM temperature is 190-deg. (The other big chain’s web site says 195-deg for OEM. I haven’t found anything in my Haynes manual.)

Is that 10- or 15-deg difference gonna do anything bad?

The lower temperature might keep the ECM from going into ‘closed loop’ operation where the O2 sensor is used in the calculation for the fuel injector pulse. Your gas mileage might be lower than usually and your exhaust will have more emissions than it should. You might not get a Check Engine Light turned ‘on’.

Hope that helps.

The Motorcraft replacement says 190. I would get the right one. It will make a bigger difference this winter than now, but I think it is important to have to right one in there.

Cool, but not too Hot!
I hated to hear this, except the part about burping the air out and getting a nice steady temp.

How good are you getting at changing thermostats in 94 Tauri?

I don’t know where you live, but besides the problems described by Researcher, where I live, I need every degree of heat & defrost I can get. We go to -25F on occasion and I’ve seen -40F, several years ago. Farmer’s Almanac is calling for a tough winter.

Think of it this way…
the thermostat’s real function is not to keep the car from overheating, but rather to allow it to get and stay at proper operating temperature. Yours is not. Proper operating temperature is essential to complete combustion of the fuel and efficient use of the energy contained in it, and to having the proper signal to the ECU to most efficiently meter the fuel delivery via the injector pulsewidths.

I’d get the right one.

Oh, well. I probably should have known. And I should have watched the parts counter lady more closely (but I think her computer called out the part number I got).

“How good are you getting at changing thermostats in 94 Tauri?” Pretty good, now :>) Want to know how to move the air filter box and some cables out of the way? But I have to find a way to get my wife and daughter out of the house for a while so I can do the job. They’ll think I’m going to turn it into a 2-1/2 day puzzle session again.

Thanks for all your help on what should have been a simple job.

“Thanks for all your help on what should have been a simple job.”

It should be easy now. You know what tools, where to stand, how to hold your mouth, and could possibly do it blindfolded. I say 35 minutes, tops!

Look what you learned for the next simple job! You’re getting good at this!

I should have watched the parts counter lady more closely

Careful there! Your wife may be reading this! :wink: