Thermostat maintenance

Me too. I’ve already picked up the new coolant.

I also looked at the lower radiator hose (Scion tC). I usually pull that to drain the coolant. This one is going to require removing countless body panel screws, removing a panel under the radiator/tranny cooler area, and going at it from underneath. Blah! I wish they’d make these things easier.

I would go with the changing fluid per manual change the thermostat, though I have not done that and think my last thermostat failure was in 78, and it was stuck open. Is the default in failure to stick open, closed or either one? For recommended service 2 years is overkill I think. It is a when it fails replace it, do you do any other preemptive repair and replacement? I mean you could go nuts, radiator cap, gas cap, pcv valves, gas pump, water pump, charcoal canister, wiper motor, shocks and struts, wheel bearings, muffler clamps, how do you draw the line?

Not all thermostats are of the simple design of years past. Some are electrically controlled and electrically monitored (BMW for example). These thermostats approach $100.00 in cost. I don’t doubt other manufactures have added a level of sophisication to their devices.

No, I think it is overkill. With Fords, I like to go with the Mo’craft t-stat because they have a little valve to bleed out air. that makes them relatively expensive.

The replacement is easy on both cars . . . and one is $10 the other $13.  I've already picked them up and will do the change tomorrow.  Only ever had one stick in all the years I've been driving . . . it stuck CLOSED.  Thanks for your replies.  Rocketman

Other than replacing the air in my tires twice a year? Kidding waterboy, but good points. I guess I tend to be overkill, but this is one of my overkill areas. I had one stick and it left me stranded. My other maintenance is a little more reasonable . . . 3000 mile oil& filter . . . every other year coolant . . . every other year brake fluid . . . rotate the tires twice a year . . . gas filters and pcvs as per owners manual . . . tranny fluid every 15k. But I can see where you could become nutz on this stuff. Rocketman

I decide to go preemptive based on the cost of the part vs the potential cost of dealing with a failure. At the least a thermostat stuck closed will take me right off the road. $15 every 4-5 years seems reasonable insurance against one more thing that could spoil my voyage.

A gas cap won’t shut me down. So I’ve been waiting 21 years for the one on my Accord to fail.