The Yaris Chronicles: Epilogue

“When you go looking for a unique combination of features not commonly found on their lot…”

This wasn’t the case; it’s just that they had NO liftbacks on their lot (only sedans

Huh? How do you figure it wasn’t the case? Did they have one or not?

It’s to their advantage to have a car on their lot that YOU wanted but now they have to wait for someone else to come along and buy? Until then, they will pay taxes on that inventory every quarter until it’s sold. I haven’t seen many dealers that have cars on their lot so someone can see them and order one. They want to sell every car they have as soon as possible.

Gas… that’s all you think it takes to secure a trade car for you? Naive. You set a lot of wheels in motion and those people get paychecks just like you do.

Since you want a court case go and find an attorney. Give them a 1000 dollar retainer and you’re in business.

You think delivery costs involve nothing more than gasoline? What about wages of the guy delivering the car?
Freight charges for car delivery varies but even a somewhat short hop can run 500-600 dollars.
A guy delivered a new Subaru to our dealership one time and had to fly back. An entire day that involved gasoline costs, meals, and a one-way airline ticket back home. The dealer should eat something like this?

Heaven forbid that, in this one transaction, the car dealer not gouge the buyer…

I don’t think Toyota is hurting for sales, and the Yaris LB (vs. sedan, which is all they had) happens to be selling like hotcakes – to the point where they’re offering a REBATE on the sedan (not the hatch). If anything, they should keep this one for demonstration purposes (since it already has a bunch of miles on it) so others can see and be charmed by the LB and persuaded to buy one. What kind of dealership doesn’t have a single example of its best-selling car? Lame.

Sorry, but my heart is not bleeding for the car dealer, and don’t forget that they neglected to inform me about the '08 rebate knowing I may opt for that and lose them an '09 sale.

Regardless of “inconvenience” (ya win some, ya lose some), I’d like to know if in fact I’m legally entitled to that refund, whether I choose to pursue it or not…

Those of your taking exception to this aren’t CAR DEALERS, by any chance?

I always use long following distances; it’s the SUV owners who try to drive right over the top of you, filled with road rage – not those of us driving foreign gas misers… ; /

ABS has nothing to do with stopping distances, actually, but enables you to steer while braking. Now THAT is counterintuitive. I seriously doubt if it would even occur to me to steer while braking; more likely I’d have a death grip on the wheel.

I’m happy, and so are many many owners of the '08 Yaris (read buyer reviews); don’t rain on my parade… You don’t want to get me complaining on this board again…

I would be willing to bet that Toyota produces many more sedan Yari for the American market then they do hatchbacks. Remember, this isn't Europe; hatchbacks haven't been popular here since the 80's. But the demand for the hatchbacks is probably on the rise again, so the dealerships sell then as fast as they get them. That's why you didn't see many on the lot. But the supply of Yaris sedans is keeping up with demand, so they are more willing to negotiate on those.

As far as getting back your deposit. They fulfilled their end of the bargain by bringing in car that you specified you wanted. Unless they told you specifically that if you didn’t like the car, they would give you your money back, you’re pretty much out of luck. If you try to take your case to litigation, I would recommend that you never return to that dealership for service or any other reason ever again, chances are you will be blacklisted and your car will magically require repairs that are not covered under warranty. I kid you not, I’ve seen it before. Both dealerships that I worked for were run by very vengeful/petty people.

Actually, the security deposit is for actual damage to the unit (repairs/cleaning); it CANNOT be applied to deliquent rent or anything else. The reneging tenant would get that back, in the scenario you put forth; the landlord would just eat the cost.

That’s the price of poker; ya win some, ya lose some… Same with car salesmen…

Actually, this particular dealership has NEVER had an '09 liftback sitting on the lot; I know, because I’ve been watching for one (before I was ready to purchase).

I think I could win litigation (esp. given that the “non-refundable” box wasn’t checked), but maybe I’ll practice good karma and just let it go… Still, I would like the definitive answer from someone who actually knows (a car dealer; lawyer). Anyone???

If they’re “vengeful” and “petty” (which has already been proven by their refusal to refund the deposit, in my view), then I’m probably already doomed re: service!

Welcome back to:

“The thread that would not die!”

Our next contestant is:

There IS no limit now on “Jeopardy”… Or maybe I should retitle it “People’s Court”?

You want to know if you’re legally entitled to a refund? If you handed them a deposit you no doubt had to sign your name to something.
What does this form state? Or as per the usual, did you not read a word of it?

You want legal advice? Go to the yellow pages. You’ll find droves of them listed in there.

Sorry, but my heart is not bleeding for the car dealer, and don’t forget that they neglected to inform me about the '08 rebate knowing I may opt for that and lose them an '09 sale.

OK, from what I’ve been able to tolerate reading, I’ve figured out this much:
You suzuki swift needed $~1200 in repairs to get it going again, but you decide that a new vehicle is a better choice, yet claim frugality is your motivation.
You shop around and decide on a yaris with nothing on it
You go to a Toyota dealership and talk with a salesman
You specifically told them you wanted an 09 Yaris 3-door with nothing on it
you settle for an 09 “fully loaded” from another dealership
you sign papers saying you’re gonna buy that car when it gets to the current dealership
Where does a small chance of you buying an 08 come into play here?
You whine about not being able to get the trim you want
you whine about having to settle for a “fully loaded” model
you whine about not being told about a rebate on a car the salesman had no idea you were interested in. BECAUSE YOU SIGNED FOR AN 09 “FULLY LOADED” MODEL TO BE DELIVERED TO THEIR DEALERSHIP IN EXCHANGE FOR ONE OFF THEIR OWN LOT.
you reneg on the deal and buy an 08 3-door stating there was a rebate on them and they didn’t tell you about it
You whine about not getting your deposit back
You whine about possible poor service from their mechanics
I foresee you whining about every noise, bump, blip, light, wiggle, and pull this car does, then whining about how the service department doesn’t find anything wrong, slightest drop in fuel economy, or fixes one thing but you find something else wrong with it completely unrelated to the original problem.
I think I speak for several other posters here when I say, “WE DON’T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!”

I think that I can speak for at least a few of the forum members in saying that bscar’s comments were very well stated. I can’t even begin to imagine the ongoing issues that we will hear about regarding this car and its servicing.

Because everyone who drives an SUV is a rage filled sociopath and those who make due with what amounts to a lawnmower engine riding on four wheels and a seat are obviously much better people :slight_smile:

And I was being nice about it too.
~_~

Actually, the security deposit is for actual damage to the unit (repairs/cleaning); it CANNOT be applied to deliquent rent or anything else. The reneging tenant would get that back, in the scenario you put forth; the landlord would just eat the cost.

OMG you really don’t get it do you? The point is they reneged on a deal and cost the landlord at least one month’s rent. And you’re wrong, the landlord does not have to eat the cost. They have every right to sue a person like you for their losses. But when you’re acting like a horse’s rear end, they can keep the deposit and force you to sue them for the difference rather than being reasonable about it. You reap what you sow.

That’s the price of poker; ya win some, ya lose some… Same with car salesmen.

Except this isn’t poker or gambling, this is business. So that’s how you rationalize screwing someone out of their time and money? A real stand up person. Glad I never met ya.

Poorly designed ABS can lead to longer stopping distances. A well designed ABS decreases the stopping distance.

Imagine a wheel slowing down. It slows down fastest if it rolls without slip because the friction coefficient is larger (when it slips, the coefficient actually decreases). So, a poorly designed ABS overly reduce the force exerted by the calipers to prevent the calipers from clamping onto the rotors too hard so as to prevent the wheels from locking / sliding against the ground. A good ABS, on the other hand, controls the clamping force such that the force is right on the tip (minus some margin) to lock up the wheels. In other words, maximum force is exerted without the wheels from locking.

The owner’s manual itself specifies that ABS (if applicable) isn’t intended to lead to shorter stopping distances, but rather merely to increase manueverability (steering capability) while braking.