The US gas guzzler tax! While I was distracted learning about CAFE

For those who might not be familiar with it, here is a better view of Studebaker’s beautifully-styled Coupe Express pickup.

2 Likes

That grill looks very much like a 39 Ford…

https://photos.classiccars.com/cc-temp/listing/96/3975/6366795-1939-ford-deluxe-jumbo.jpg

Cab forward was from the President coupe.

1 Like

Yup!
Studebaker was first with the type of concept that led to the Ford Ranchero and Chevy’s similar car-based pickup of the '60s.

Looks like Buick discontined all cars in the US market, wagon or not. They sold 10363 Buick Regals (rebadged Opel Insignias) in 2019 in the US. It is AWD with an 8 or 9 speed transmission, and a small turbo engine. It is imported from Germany.

In China the vehicle is still produced and sold today. It has different engine options and a 4 speed automatic or 5 speed manual transmission or CVT. In 2019 they sold 135,877 in China!

From NHTSA: Proposal to increase efficiency to 58 mpg during the next 8 years. When a Chevrolet Camaro gets 58 mpg, I’ll buy one. The reality is that every passenger car will need to have a Prius type powertrain. Nobody wants a Camaro or Challenger with a 4 cylinder hybrid powertrain.

July 28, 2023: NHTSA Announces New Proposal for CAFE and HDPUV Standards

For Model Years 2027-2032 Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards and Model Years 2030-2035 Heavy-Duty Pickup Trucks and Vans Vehicle Fuel Efficiency Improvement Program Standards

NHTSA proposes new CAFE standards for passenger cars and light trucks built in model years 2027-2032, and new fuel efficiency standards for heavy-duty pickup trucks and vans built in model years 2030-2035. If finalized, the proposal would require an industry fleet-wide average of approximately 58 miles per gallon for passenger cars and light trucks in MY 2032, by increasing fuel economy by 2% year over year for passenger cars and by 4% year over year for light trucks. For heavy-duty pickup trucks and vans, the proposal would increase fuel efficiency by 10% year over year. The proposal would provide critical savings at the gas pump for American consumers, and sets goals that are consistent with Congress’ direction to conserve energy and provide flexibility to industry on how best to meet those goals from proven, available fuel-saving technologies. NHTSA invites public comment on this proposal.

My public comment on the 58 mpg CAFE standard is that there is nothing today that achieves 58 mpg so why does anyone think this is an attainable average? Why does anyone think consumers will buy into this?

I’ll keep my 10 year old dinosaur 5 liter V8.

5 Likes

I think this is a great idea! This will spark a revival of the subcompact economy car, with NA 3-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines. Hopefully, cost-effective, reliable, and fuel-efficient vehicles will come to market as a result.

Fuel efficient compact cars have been available for decades, however many new car buyers want the largest vehicle they can afford. A new car shopper can buy a compact car for $25,000 or borrow more money to buy a Ford Ranger. Some things never change, increased fuel economy standards will result in more truck sales.

2 Likes

I don’t think NA engines have much of a future. The only way to attain the hp output we want and fuel economy we need is through turbo or hybrid powertrains.

3 Likes

It will mean more lighter, less safe, flimsy interior, under powered vehicles with light brakes and weak transmissions. It’ll just force even more people in to the regulations exempt truck and SUV market.

Here ya’ go:

5 Likes

I’m not sure it can be…but we don’t no until we try. When Cafe’ standards were first introduced every American car manufacturer said it was IMPOSSIBLE to meet that standard. They all have met it and went way beyond that initial standard. My wife’s 07 Lexus is far bigger then my 73 Vega. Considerably faster. Handles better. Much better ride. Several magnitudes safer and 1/3 less polutants…all while achieving more than a 30% increase in gas mileage over the Vega. And the biggest one of all is reliability. The Vega is on the list of one of thee most unreliable vehicles ever sold in the US…and the Lexus ES-350 is at the top of the list most reliable vehicles ever sold in the US.

1 Like

I’d say we achieved the “low hanging fruit” in those years. When a 5 liter, 3850 lb 420 hp V8 can get 23 mph highway we are doing pretty good.

But more stringent EPA standards did drive buyers into those SUVs and trucks back in the 80s

To get 58 average will take a LOT of EVs to allow the sale of trucks and SUVs that buyers actually want. And EV sales have stalled.

But anyway… Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to ALL!

Well then, if you can’t run with the big dogs, stay off the porch… lol

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 Like

The battery for longer commutes is still a problem for them. If you can install a charger at home, and mainly use it for commuting, then an EV can be a great vehicle. I’m waiting on newer battery technology.

2 Likes

You only get 23 MPG? :grinning:

I blame the lack of direct injection!

That is some good mpgs!

Everywhere I look I recognize well designed shell games to slip around standards of all types in order to maximize profits and minimize taxes. Some of the most well regarded departments in business are loophole/shellgame development. Just this week I have repeatedly heard political masterminds explain how the wealthy few at the top pay more than half the total while showing a pie chart without the FICA tax included.