The return of the station wagon?

Guys, I’m not changing my mind about this, no matter what kind of numbers and facts you provide

I’m entitled to my opinion, no matter how wrong I may appear to be

4 Likes

Absolutely @db4690. Doesn’t the Bill of Rights guarantee US the the privilege of being WRONG? If I were wrong a little more often I’d run for office.

5 Likes

And, if your statements over the past year had been demonstrably false 84% of the time, then you could have become POTUS!

:scream:

1 Like

@Rod_Knox If you run for office you have my vote.

1 Like

Why do station wagons need parent sedan models? If it looks like a station wagon, functions like a station wagon, it is a station wagon.

And, let’s get back on topic again, this is not supposed to be a political forum.

2 Likes

There’s always room for badgering, sarcasm, off color insults and demeaning comments @B.L.E. After all it’s an internet forum and we’re all anonymous… But this forum is a cut above average due to the civility of posts.

Everyone get back to work… Carolyn is watching.

3 Likes

Remember when pickup trucks were simple utilitarian vehicles? Three speed manual transmissions, no carpet, no air conditioning, no entertainment system, vinyl and duct tape upholstery.
They don’t build them like this anymore, but they are still “pickups”.

And if you look behind this truck’s bed, you will see A STATION WAGON!!!

That’s when men were men and they suually smelled bad when they came home from work. I remember those days well. Some people call them the ‘good ole days.’ All in all they weren’t so bad as long as the hot water and soap held out.

1 Like

Just driving that truck will make you smell bad. The cab faintly reeks of gasoline and engine oil.

Is that a Chevy Trailblazer in the background . . .

Yeah, when I was in college in 1990, one of the students had a 1978 Chevy truck, I forget which trim level. Anyways, it was pretty “spartan” versus the typical grocery getter truck nowadays. And the thing was literally rotten to the core. He was from Michigan, and you could put your fist through the bed, fenders and doors. I assume the frame itself was in similar shape.

Another guy had a late 1980s Dodge Ramcharger. In contrast to that Chevy truck I just described, the Dodge was in fantastic shape, but it was fairly basic. It had cloth seats, power steering and ac, but that’s it. No other luxury features, as far as I remember. No fancy sound system, no fancy rims, etc.

I remember when station wagons had bodies that were partially made out of wood. For the cars that were the “low.priced three”, (Ford, Chevrolet, Plymouth), the station wagon was the most expensive model in the lineup. Chevrolet marketed an all metal body on a truck chassis back in the mid 1930s. I think the Tahoe is today’s successor of that model. Willys came out with a vehicle called the Overland right after WWII which was often called the Jeep Station Wagon. I think Willys was onto something–IMHO this was the first SUV. Plymouth had two distinct lines in 1949 on two different wheelbases. The longer wheelbase models consisted of a sedan, club coupe, convertible and a 4 door wood bodied station wagon. The short wheelbase​ models were a single seat business coupe, a fastback coupe and a 2 door all metal wagon called the Suburban. That Suburban was quiet popular and really began the movement to make station wagons all metal. In 1950, Nash came out with a compact station wagon in its Rambler line. I see reincarnations of all the above mentioned vehicles into today’s vehicles. There really isn’t anything new under the sun.

I don’t know them, but some buyers are targeted by this Porsche wagon:

“Bad?!” I thought a side benefit of working on my car was the “free cologne!” Eau de Unleaded.

3 Likes

There’s that new car smell, and there’s that old pickup truck smell. You don’t realize that you remember it until you smell it again.

WD-40 could be bottled as an after shave in my neck of the woods.

I prefer the smell of Kroil.

If Chevy came out with a retro Nomad wagon I’d probably go for one of those.

I know some of the old land yacht wagons have experienced a bit of a resurgence although limited in number. What used to be considered scrap metal is now worth a little bit of money.

What would you consider the Vega wagon? I bought one because it seemed to be quite utilitarian and economical while mistakenly depending on Chevrolet’s reputation for reliability. It was a great car 'till the end. But the end came too soon.

One of the local resto joints in town has a vintage town and country sitting out front. Complete with real simulated wood grain panels…

I always thought the return of the station wagon came when I first saw the Dodge Magnum roll out back in 06. If they’re so great, why did minivans replace them in the 80s? O_o