Are Station-wagons still sold in the USA?

Magazine article says the very popular (at the time) Volvo station-wagon’s run has ended in the UK, Volvo SUV models are entirely replacing it. I got to wonder if there are any station- wagons sold in the USA anymore? Or have they all been replaced by SUVs? I see older station-wagons on the road from time to time, but don’t recall seeing any new ones. Is the station-wagon a thing of the past?

Mercedes and Audi still have a few.

1 Like

Well as far as mainstream cars go, this was discontinued after the 2019 model year:

It was classified as an SUV but looks like a wagon to me.

I can’t think of any current models that are true wagons anymore.

1 Like
2 Likes

That Audi RS6 Avant looks great.

Station wagon? The Subaru Forester comes to mind. A modern, sensible size.

Back in the early '60s the family had a Ford Country Squire, with the “wood grain” and the “wonderful back seat” Oh the fun we had as kids, we could laugh and play and be about as loud as we wanted, there was no way for Mom or Dad to turn around and swat us…

Biggest threat was Dad saying, “Do I need to stop this car?” He never did… :grin:

I’m in station wagon group-I, and many others are very disappointed in the fact that manufacturers are eliminating them! Especially the manual option for the few that are left😢

1 Like

Depends on your definition of a wagon. Mine is a car line that has coupes, sedans, and wagons based on essentially the same chassis. Under my definition I got one of the last wagons from Ford,2005 Focus, they may have continued wagon for another year. After that a four door hatchback.

On a side note, in our various conversations about “fallen flags”, in my opinion Studebaker could have sold a few more cars if wagons were included in their 47-53 models.

That’s one of the station wagons I see on the road from time to time here. To still be on the road, must have pretty sturdy design.

Oh no, George tells another “old days” story … lol … My recollection of that model, our scout troop leader was using one to drive a bunch of us kids to Wyoming for an overnight camp out. Loaded to the roof w/scouts and gear. Maybe the cause was the extra weight in the back, but one of the rear axles started making a grinding sound. We scouts thought this repair was going to take days to complete, and the camp trip wasn’t going to happen. Undaunted, the scout leader pulls into the next gas station and explains the situation to the repair guy; he nods his head, says "ok, pull it in, let’s put it on the lift & take a look ". Pretty soon we notice the axle is being pulled out of the rear axle tube. We say as a group: “Oh no!” thinking a replacement part for that will take days, even weeks to find. But this has no effect on the “can do” repair guy; he simply puts the axle in his bench vice and proceeds to file the splines to back to good as new (or at least functional) condition , 45 minutes later, we continue on our way to the campsite.

2 Likes

America’s Automotive Trust (Lemay Museum and partners) are doing what they’re calling The Drive Home from Jackson Hole Wyoming to the Detroit Auto Show in a fleet of classic station wagons along with a 1984 Plymouth Voyager to represent the minivan.

The Drive Home Cars & Organizations

1955 Ford Country Squire | NBC News Now

1957 Chevrolet Nomad | LeMay – America’s Car Museum

1969 Buick Custom Sport Wagon | The NB Center for American Automotive Heritage

1984 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon | RPM Foundation

1989 Ford Crown Vic Country Squire | Club Auto

1984 Plymouth Voyager (van) | Hagerty
The Drive Home 2023 - America’s Automotive Trust (americasautomotivetrust.org)

1 Like

Hagerty is disqualified! The Voyager is not a station wagon. Minivans are a better use of space than a station wagon, and should be considered what the family station wagon evolved into (along with SUVs), but still not a wagon.

IIRC, they began offering wagons as of the '53 model year, but–strangely–only as 2-door models. They didn’t offer a 4-door wagon until the '57 model year.

Once they switched over to the Lark design, they sold a decent number of wagons, and I think that they had a really good idea with the Wagonaire (sliding rear roof) model that was offered from '63-'66.

However, that good idea was fatally-flawed because of a bad water leak problem that probably could have been resolved with a bit more development time.

4 Likes

There may have been a “Conestoga” offered in 53, the earliest I have ever seen is a 54.
I did like the 57-58 Packard (derisively called Packabaker) wagons. Not being a purist, I would go with a 58 for the fins, but remove the quad headlamp pods or go with entire 57 front end.
BTW, my family had a 62 Studebaker wagon, IMHO, very attractive wagon, but I preferred the tailgate window of our 64 Impala.

Remember the campers for those wagons?

GM brought the concept back in one of their SUVs, water proof cargo area so it could be hosed out. My guess it failed to sell because it cost so much more than the same SUV with conventional roof and interior.

Yes, and–to my eye–they looked dangerously top-heavy.

Agreed! Plus, I suspect helper springs.