The Government and Stupidity are one in the same

Don’t all mammals (and just any other animal) exhale carbon dioxide? So…do we all hold our breath until global warming goes away?

Sorry OK…but I don’t believe it for ONE minute. I really need to see PROOF. It sounds like a Rush Limbaugh lie to me.

IF as you say temps WORLD WIDE are NOT increasing…then what is causing Glaciers WORLD WIDE to either vanish completely or recede at alarming rates. There was a report a couple years ago about about a couple glaciers in Iceland actually getting bigger. But close analogy showed the reason it seemed to be growing was because it was melting and the water underneath it was moving it. I have pictures my brother took 10 years apart of his fishing trips to Alaska. One shows this valley full of snow and ice. The next 10 years later shows the same valley just barren rock. Pics taken almost the same day in September. The glacier had receded almost 20 miles and still receding.

Oldschool, the word you are looking for is “ratify.”

FoDaddy, if you look at Carbon emissions, the earth can absorb so much, but emissions have increased past the Earth’s absorption capacity. Here is an example to help explain it. Suppose there is a Native American Indian tribe living on the bank of a river. They pollute the river with their untreated waste, but the river can easily absorb that waste and still support life. Compare that to what happens when 100,000 people dump their untreated waste into the same river. When they exceed the river’s capacity to absorb this pollution, the river can no longer support life. So holding our breath would be like removing the tribe from the bank of the river, but letting the other 99,970 people keep dumping untreated waste into the river.

So breathe easy. Unless you live in a city that has exceeded its air pollution capacity, like L.A., Houston, Dallas, Mobile, etc., you and your children should be fine.

I am with Mike on this. Those of you who don’t believe in global warming should take a cruise to Alaska. The evidence is unambiguous.

The confusion about global warming is partly the result of the violent swings in temperature that we now have. The 100 year events now occur in less than 10 years now. It’s hard to think about global warmimg during snow storm.

Agree that an ice-free Arctic Ocean in the summer is the first in recorded history, and Northern temperatures are increasing much faster than those in more Southern regions. Australia is experiencing record heat waves and droughts, and will lose a lot of its agricultural land through lack of moisture, due to RISING temperatures.

In my immediate area, glaciers have receded steadily over the last 30 years. A popular mountain hike, the Valley of the Seven Glaciers, is now just a dry hike with what remains of the glaciers some distance away.

Like I care for one second what Rush Limbaugh has to say; and even less for what hucksters like Gore and Katie Couric chime in with.

The comment was made earlier about me or my son being “linear”. Could be. My son’s area of expertise is Paleo-Climatology so he covers the gamut from tomorrow clean back to oblivion. He translates the technical into plain English for my benefit so the reading/charts I’ve been over go back eons.

Since glaciers are brought up (remember my earlier comments? same thing being said 108 years ago), did you know there are literally thousands of glaciers on earth but only about 2 dozen of them are even tracked at all?

Glaciers crumble; that’s what they do and it’s not warming temps causing it. Try additional snowfall on top. Added weight is increasing the effect of gravity on the ice mass.

Glaciers melting in Greenland? Seen any news reports on the increased volcanic activity under the Earth’s crust there? Probably not.

A few more bits of info. The Arctic was once forests and even had alligators roaming around. (verifiable by fossil proof)
At one time in the past there were no glaciers, snowpack, or ice anywhere on Earth. Not on mountaintops or on either pole.
Did you know the average temperature variation on earth is .7 Celsius and any variation right now is within that .7?

For those who truly want to learn more about the subject try this.
www.icecap.org
One can’t breeze through it as easily as a 3 minute TV news blurb but it does have some simplified substance in it.
(And if anyone is skeptical about the claims of temp info being skewed dued to location, let me know and I’ll dredge up some photos.)

Back to my last question in regards to Dr. Karoly (one of the world’s leading experts on GW)and somewhat of a poster child for this issue. I provided a link which very simply expresses his views.
The only thing I would like to hear is if you agree with those views or not. If you believe in man-made GW then there should be no problem with answering a simple yes or no.

Here’s the biggest earth-bound contributor to global warming:

Two questions:

1: Would this subject be less emotionally charged if taxpayer money was not used to address it?

2: If the US pulls together to attach global warming on numerous fronts (more efficient cars & buildings, less dependence on fossil fuels, etc), wouldn’t that be the opportunity this country needs get its leadership and independence back? It could open the doors for numerous challenging job opportunities.

1: Would this subject be less emotionally charged if taxpayer money was not used to address it?

Only SOME tax payer money is used in the US ONLY. The projects my daughter has worked on…NO TAX PAYER MONEY is used. And what tax payer money is being used in Chile or India or Australia???

What’s wrong with Katie Couric? Are you upset with her for stumping Sarah Palin by asking her to name a newspaper or magazine she has read? That was freakin priceless! You betcha!

The comment was made earlier about me or my son being “linear”. Could be. My son’s area of expertise is Paleo-Climatology so he covers the gamut from tomorrow clean back to oblivion. He translates the technical into plain English for my benefit so the reading/charts I’ve been over go back eons.

Your son may trasnlate the technical lingo…by my daughter DOES the technical testing and analysis. That’s her research job at MIT. She’s seen first hand evidence.

Glaciers melting in Greenland? Seen any news reports on the increased volcanic activity under the Earth’s crust there? Probably not.

I was just commenting about what someone said about glaciers in Iceland growing. But in fact they are melting. I never once mentioned the cause. Just that someone (I think it was Rush Limbaugh) mentioned how Greenlands glaciers (or was it Iceland) were growing.

did you know there are literally thousands of glaciers on earth but only about 2 dozen of them are even tracked at all?

World wide there are several hundred glaciers that are tracked. And over 90% of them are shrinking. My daughter was invited to go on a field trip to Columbia last summer (their winter) to study a glacier that was rapidly shrinking (about 10’ a week). But it was deemed UNSAFE for females to travel in that region.

The only thing I would like to hear is if you agree with those views or not. If you believe in man-made GW then there should be no problem with answering a simple yes or no.

I NEVER said that GW was man made. That’s one of the big debates going on right now. I really don’t know if it is…nor do I know what will happen. Is this a good thing or a bad thing???

Back to my last question in regards to Dr. Karoly (one of the world’s leading experts on GW)and somewhat of a poster child for this issue. I provided a link which very simply expresses his views.

He’s ONE scientist. No big deal. He’s NOT THEE authority on the subject. And if you do a google search on the man you’ll find that many scientists are NOT that impressed with him either. As to his views…Sorry but I don’t have 50+ hours to drudge through his endless links, some with just opinions and no facts.

Absolutely true; other countries have stolen the lead in energy technologies from the US. Denmark and Germany lead in windmills, Asia in solar cells, Asia (China, Japan, Korea) in advanced batteries, France in nuclear power, Brazil in efficient ethanol production, Iceland and Singapore are leading in fuel cell/hydrogen propulsion, etc. Europe even leads in extracting energy from manure!

It takes governments to kick-start these developments; California is trying to force these new technologies out of sheer necessity. It would be much more efficient if the US as a whole legislated them, so costs would be reduced,and development would be faster.

Still no comment on Dr. Karoly though. Read back through my posts and you’ll see why I mention Karoly.
It is because he is the lead author on the IPCC report which is the template being used to try and force policy by world governments.
Karoly is considered a GW “go to” guy and a guru on the issue; although not around here.

Everything is dismissal with no actual knowledge of the subject.
Let’s try this.
Does anyone here know how the proper and correct temperature is supposed to be taken?

In regards to my comment about temps in Siberia not being in the equation does anyone know why that is the case?

Do any of you think that tempature averaging is done by guys in lab coats adding the numbers and doing the math?

Does anyone here actually know how these predictions of GW are really being done?

I’ve stated that at one time there was no ice on Earth, both the Arctic and Antarctic were habitable places to live for both plants/animmals, etc. and apparently that is dismissed also.
Don’t take my word for it.
http://www.earth.rochester.edu/news/fossil.html

And lastly Mike, my son is hardly a “translator of technical lingo”. What is your daughter’s field and what does she hold a degree in? “Reseach” covers a lot of bases.
Not too long ago on the Discovery Channel they did an hour long show about Alaska melting with a running commentary by a “climate expert”. Later on I Googled the name of this expert and found that she is a PhD student in Botany of all things.

If you park your car in your garage (or someone else’s if you like), close the door(s) and windows, and let the car idle, will you eventually die?

So you’d rather give the money to Exxon to waste on who know what???

Nah, Standard Oil of NJ/NY (Exxon-Mobil) won’t waste it. They’ll spend it carefully to buy the finest members of Congress!

but the remaining O2 in the exhaust is toxic to the cat

Please explain. The purpose of the catalytic converter is to burn CO and HC, using oxygen in the flow, is it not? Oxygen would hardly be “toxic” to it!

Catalytic converters were first used because engines were set to run rich (this was pre-73 oil embargo) to run cooler and reduce oxides of nitrogen. The rich mixture reduced NOx and the CC cleaned up the mess left over. The downside was miserable mileage.

If the car was made before the 70s, yes. Most modern day vehicles, in proper tune, would probably run out of fuel before anything happened.

Siberia, the coldest place on Earth

I’m sure that the folks wintering over at the South Pole would dispute that. Could you provide some documentation for this “deliberate omission”?

these same scientists decided to install some of their thermometers ABOVE or near heat sources

Again, please document. To deliberately place thermometers where they would measure excessive heat would be the height of scientific dishonesty. Once a scientist was discovered to have done something like that, he’d be toast – he couldn’t get published in any journal, and would be drummed out of any scientific societies.

Once you’ve documented these two (and Rush/Annie/Bill/Nazi News Network don’t count as reliable sources) we can go back and look at your other charges.

And lastly Mike, my son is hardly a “translator of technical lingo”. What is your daughter’s field and what does she hold a degree in? “Reseach” covers a lot of bases.

I’m just quoting what YOU said earlier about what your son did.

My daughter hasn’t graduated yet. She’s majoring in chemical engineering. The two Professors she does research projects for both are Professors of Chemical Engineering.

OK…Did you read any of the links you posted??

BTW…Taking thousands of temperature readings around the world is only ONE way to judge if the world is getting warmer. Chemical analysis of ice-cores compared to the chemical makeup of new snow is another. Ocean temp and acid readings are another. Chemical analysis of Air taken from thousands of points world wide is another. Melting glaciers…migrating birds…migrating sea animals…chemical analysis/changes of plants…These are all indicators of Global Warming. My daughter put it to me this way…you don’t have to take a temperature reading to see if it’s hot…just look at the sweat from his forehead.

Does anyone here know how the proper and correct temperature is supposed to be taken?

A better question…DO YOU??