The EV Charging Stations are Gone, but the Reserve Parking Remains…

I think CircuitSmith has it right, it was probably a logistics decision as they only had to dig under some sidewalks to get the power there… The two spots are right adjacent to the “after-hours” drop box and now folks are sort of “advoiding” the spots, they are instead pulling in behind the spots along the sidewalk.

From the meeting, I take it that leaving the spots reserved for EV drivers will somehow inspire folks to go buy an EV so they can also park close to the library…

For the next few comments, I need to state this. The EV Charging Stations were not on the agenda and the BOS is usually not too responsive to taking these questions from the floor; but I was not being confrontational, I was merely asking questions, so they were not prepared to respond…

From the meeting, I gathered it was merely a two-year experiment to test the waters. I do not know who drove the issue in the first place, but it seems to have died a quiet death… The Charging stations were removed and there are no plans to replace them. But they think that leaving the signs up is a good thing. I guess they watch too my “Martha Stewart” TV and that’s a “Good Thing…”

First part, I do not think they even considered the cost of installing and maintaining the charging stations. As far as I know, there never was any vandalism on the Charging Stations.

As for, “do many people with electric vehicles visit the library?” Not many, as I mentioned earlier, This topic has been “Driven Over” before and I posted this previously about the usage of the parking spots…

Our county is still pretty much rural and the infrastructure is not conducive to supporting a homeless population the way a larger city might be…

Finally, I spoke to numerous folks after the meeting and a NASA Engineer volunteered that he uses their EV that his wife drives to work and gets FREE Charging from her employer to provide power to their home like a backup generator at night. You would think that a NASA Engineer, who has a working professional wife in a successful enough position that her employer provides FREE Charging Stations would not be so cheap. I wonder if the wife carries a large purse so she can stock up on Pens, Paper, and Post-its?

1 Like