The Car Was an Early-Drop-Off but the Service Writer Cannot Read Cursive, So No Service Was Performed…

There was a guy that testified at the council meeting that he had been involved in that California town that burned to the ground and another in Colorado. He was volunteering his expertise on how to respond. They really need to get him on board as a major step in the right direction.

There was also a guy that showed the alloy wheels had melted on a car and concluded there must have been an accelerant to reach the 1300 degree temp needed. I debunk that one. If you ever saw a car burn, once the tires start to burn, that’s the end of the car. No additional fuel needed. Tires start, maybe leaking gas, and kaboom, glass melts, and everything else goes so stand back.

1 Like

When I was a little boy in the '50s, we had to practice the “Duck and Cover” where we had to run for cover. In school, we would run into the hallway, away from windows, so that we would not get cut by flying glass when an atomic bomb went off… The alarm to take cover was a wavering tone that last a couple of minutes… The “All Clear” was a steady tone for about the same length of time…

But in the case of a nature disaster in Hawaii, there are so many more possibilities…

If I was in charge of the Siren Button, I would not have pressed it either. The prevailing information that the population knew was that the siren meant a possible Tidal Wave or Tsunami and that all should rush inland and go to high ground…

However, after 30-years in the Air Force, where we spend a lot of time brain-storming, the what-ifs, the what-nots, and so-forth, I would have had other options… Heck, this is Hawaii, the entire island system is built on volcanoes… What is the alert for an impending volcanic eruption, a “side-walk sale?”

So, I would have had a lot more options that to press a single button or not… There would have been more than just Plan A, there would have be a Plan B, a Plan C, a Plan D, etc…

This is so much more apparent when you consider that there have been fires and volcano eruptions previously and those held responsible for the emergency alert never came up with a system to alert the populaces which is which.

In the military, we use a system called “Giant Voice & Military Mass Notification System” It is a system of sirens and speakers to give emergency alert notification and speakers instruction systems to give audio instructions so the population know the nature of the emergency, be it Tsunami, a volcano eruption, nature disaster, whatever…

Giant Voice is well known to the Hawaiian population if they live near any military installation and there are numerous installations in Hawaii. The folks who live near the bases know all too well that Giant Voice announces the start of day, playing Reveille at 7 AM each morning and Retreat at 5 PM each day. Additionally, whenever there is a military exercise on the installation, the sirens sound and Giant Voice is giving verbal instructions…

I wonder if they have even come up with a plan for a wild fire caused by the electrical power still sparking off the downed power poles. Probably not, we “know it won’t happen again. Right?”

2 Likes

The one time I paid cash at the local Whole Foods

Cashier: That will be $4.80
Me: Hands full, struggle to place a $5 bill on the table immediately in front of the cashier.
Cashier: You COULD have politely put the money in my hand!
Me: ??? … lol …

I decided they didn’t want my money there, so I’ve taken my business elsewhere.

Just what have you done to help?

… or you could have paid with one of the many credit cards that give you a rebate of 3-5% on your grocery bill. :wink:

1 Like

Around here we are just mainly concerned about tornados and high wind. Don’t have any voice speakers but Minneapolis does. Of course with the hurricanes down south, they have a little time to figure out what to do.

Read that a Tampa fuel supplier got diesel mixed in with the gas. A few 711 stations and citco. Now that would be a problem trying to get the tank emptied and back on the road in time.

Just to get this back on the subject of cars for a moment (yeah I know I wrote about cash back cards in my post #82…), however, my local Toyota and Honda dealers now charge a 5% fee if you pay with a credit card… We now pay with a check and we ask them if they have a stamp to print the dealership name on the check…

For small businesses like Mom 'n Pop Shops we usually pay with cash or check as they get hit with the highest credit card payment fees… As that 5% fee might be the difference between “meat on the table” or a “bowl of cereal…”

Ok, now it’s open topic again… L :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: L . . .

1 Like

Reference the following remark…

I replied with the following…

This is a follow-up to my previous posting…

This morning, we went to Kroger and it was relatively quiet and we bought about $70 worth of groceries which included: fresh fruits and vegetables, some frozen seafood, some packages of meat, some cold cuts, some can goods, bread, milk, ice cream, and some frozen vegetables. Since there was only one other customer in the 12-self checkouts (6 were closed…), and we are on speaking terms with the associate, I got a second shopping cart and I scanned every item and put it into the second cart and only about half the time the scanner played, “place the item in the bagging area or the cart” and it did not stop even when I placed nothing in the bagging area…

I kind of expected this as Kroger’s doors have anti-theft sensors that set off an alarm if an anti-theft label has not been neutralized. I guess they must put those little labels on or in something that cost a lot, but they do not have a neutralizer to deactivate them.

And if the alarm goes off, they merely reset it… Since swiping a can of peas or scamming Kroger out of a package of baby back ribs is not on my Bucket List, I will not avail myself of their relative lax security…

And that’s the end of this story…

And don’t forget the Princeton Dinky is also electrically powered.

1 Like

Wow, this thread really has taken a lot of turns.
In the 60s Minneapolis ran a test of the tornado sirens either monthly or perhaps weekly.
Now cable systems run the very loud bla, bla, bla sound on TV then the warning.
Get a notice on your phone too.
When in South East Asia we had a major, very much like Frank Burns, hanging out in radiology, listening to the latest Black Sabbath album, he pops his head in “ Don’t you hear the air raid siren? “. Our response “ Is it raining?, him “Why?”, us “ siren always shorts out in the rain”.

All of our grocery stores have eliminated the bagging area requirement at self service lanes, have hand held scanners for large items such as cases of soft drinks, no need to take it out of your cart.
Sam’s Club, scan the items with your phone as you place the items in your cart. When ready to leave, swipe to pay on your phone. No check out line.

Don’t like those options? Shop the store online, park your car ( Ah, car related :grinning:) in the curbside pickup slot.

… and adjacent to the tracks for the Princeton Dinky is one of the university’s vast arrays of solar panels which are used to recharge their electric buses.

1 Like