The Car Was an Early-Drop-Off but the Service Writer Cannot Read Cursive, So No Service Was Performed…

Ok back from 60 to post one. The guy was too embarrassed to tell someone he couldn’t read the ticket. Seems to be the proximate cause of the problem, not the phone. But you do have bi-lingual phone books? The guy didn’t even try to show the ticket to others to try and figure it out? Instead just move the car in back and fiorget about it? Is this the procedure in your shop? Just move it to the back of the line?

I don’t know how you guys do it, but when I dropped my car off at night I had an appointment. When it was towed in after hours and dropped off, I called the shop in the morning. When I was out of country for a couple weeks, I gave them my email to contact me which they used. Yeah sure it’s a two way street, but I think the handwriting issue misses the point.

+1

Most of the organizations I worked for insisted the we use person phones for work and that was fine with me. I did have an organization phone when I went to Japan for a long term project. I had that phone for about a year. After that, I turned the phone in and went back to my personal phone. I used my personal phone when I was home but still conducted business on the government phone.

I doubt that was the case, service writers often share things with each other when they have time. If the information was typed, there would likely be something that needed to be approved or clarified.

Were you there? Third hand information.

The driveway attendants park the cars, the service writers stay in the office.

That is how it should have been handled. The service writer probably left a message with the customer and waited for a return call. In the meantime, there are 85 other cars to service/repair.

If you do that where I work, you have to agree to give up control of your personal phone. IT installs encryption software and have ultimate control in the event you lose your phone- they can wipe it clean remotely. Plus, you have to submit expense reports for reimbursement every month.

Company phone is fully paid for, no expensing required and it has unlimited plan that can be used as a hotspot. :+1:

This offloading of supplied resources is becoming more common in business. Not just phones but some companies won’t provide a company credit card anymore. I don’t carry any balance on my personal cards so I wouldn’t like doing that but no financial impact to me. However, I have employees that may carry balances on their personal cards and now they have to float the company expenses (airline, hotel, car, meals) on it? Not unless the company also reimburses for monthly fees associated with revolving credit. We provide phones and T&E cards…

That’s the way it is now and has been fir most of the last decade. If I wanted to get work email in my phone I would have had to do as you said. My solution was to do company email on my company laptop only. I could still receive texts and email to my personal account, just nothing proprietary.

1 Like

Carrying two cellphones is very common. Many companies will issue certain employees a cellphone that can NOT be used for personal use. So people have their own person cellphone. Some companies (like mine) - pays for the employees service, but they are responsible for buying whatever cellphone they want. And since we are a telecom solutions provider, we get some good discounts with the carriers for our employees. If they leave the company, the phone is theirs, but obviously, we stop paying for the service. EVERY employee gets a cellphone if they want one. Engineers, Sales and management - company paid for cellphone is mandatory cue to the nature of their work. The other employees (shipping and office help) accounts for 6 employees. I made the decision to get them cellphones also. The cost was minimal.

1 Like

I want to turn this around a little. Yes, there are certain segments of the younger generation who can’t write cursive. But there are a whole lot of people my generation who are technical idiots. They can barely buy anything on-line. Have no idea what an E-Ticket is. Don’t know what or how to use Apple Wallet. I’ve ran into several businesses that only want electronic payment. This includes a carpenter I hired to build a 3-season porch and deck. No checks, or credit cards. On-line payment with a payment app or direct payment from bank. I’ve worked as an engineer my whole career…but I know some people my age who don’t have a problem negotiating tech stuff. But some just are afraid of it, or just can’t handle it. I feel sorry for these people. The world is leaving them behind.

1 Like

That would include me but as I have said before at my age it don’t bother me as they say it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. :grinning:

1 Like

Mike, You’ve given me a whole lot to think about, yeah it bothers me that cursive is not taught in schools anymore (for the most part…) and since so much attention is paid to keyboarding that even the younger set who were never taught cursive have horrible handwriting as in printing, not to mention they do not have spell check on their pencil and they cannot spell worth a darn… And the values that I hold near and dear, are often snubbed by the youth…

But like I said, I’ve started thinking of me in my younger years, my parents did not like the way I dressed, jeans and sneakers verses slacks and shoes, my choice in music, not exactly “Lawrence Welk…” My parents were, “early to bed, early to rise…” and I was “party hardy and dance till dawn…”

So, I say thanks for helping to get me straight again…

I think it’s more a function of whether you want to learn new stuff or not. Certainly there is a foundation needed to add each new thing to our repertoire but we can do it if we want to.

1 Like

True, but what a twelve year old can learn in two minutes takes me two hours, lol…

3 Likes

Not everybody can spell goodard (<–intentional), I have never been able to spell worth a crap, I also type really really slowwwwww!!! lol… Heck, I stump spell check all the time and have to use talk to text to see how to spell it and still screw that up sometimes…
But I can rebuild engines, transmissions and rear ends as well as any mechanical part (as long as I have the needed tools, and it is able to be rebuilt) of most vehicles, as well as basic house electrical, plumbing, large appliances, fork lifts and the list goes on and on… Most people can’t do all that, but they can spell… We all have different talents…

But I agree with most everything else said… But my 34yo son text me stuff and I have to tell him to spell it out cause I don’t have a clue WTH he is saying sometimes, but he is a GREAT speller, he just chooses to talk like his generation and YES it drives me nuts… But he CAN spell…

PharmD is a 7 to 8 year degree and the local CVS was offering new grads $150k to start. My older independent pharmacist told me that this would be the end of independent pharmacies because they could not afford that and that PharmD is overqualified for store work and they would probably quit after a while and go to work for the manufacturers in sales or research.

Being a retired HS Counselor, I am aware of all that. If not for this young lady’s affluent parents setting her up in business, I doubt that she could survive as an indy pharmacy owner. But, she did pick her location very wisely, because she is located adjacent to two new-ish housing developments, one of which is a Senior Community (LOTS of prescriptions!).

The residents of those two developments have to drive past her little pharmacy in order to get to C_S, and it must be working because my most recent Rx was #20 thousand-something in her system. When I got my first scrip filled there a couple of years ago, it was #9 hundred-something. I just hope that she can make it.

Oh you lucky dog you… 20,000 something you say, I refilled a medication recently and I called in the refill on the pharmacy’s phone refill line and I have to enter my date of birth as mmddyyyy followed by the pound sign, then the prescription number (20,000 something you say…) as 1227501XXXXX again followed by the pound sign (the “Xs” are actual numbers…) If there were commas in that number and it would be almost 123 billion and it is sequential… Truth be told, it is a military pharmacy and I do not know if they started with the number one nor do I know when the numbering system began…

Perhaps Major General Doctor James Craik, who was General George Washington’s personal physician during the revolutionary war wrote the first prescription… L :grinning: L…

When I call them for a refill, because of the ID system on their phone, they pick up the line and immediately greet me by name. Then, they ask which of my scrips I want refilled, and–voila–by the time that I take my 12 minute drive to get there, it is ready and waiting for me. When I walk in, I am greeted by name.

I just hope that I never have to go back to C_S.

1 Like

I expect part of the luddite-geezer segment (such as me) understands how to use this sort of thing ok, but doesn’t like how intrusive it is. I had a request today from someone who asked for my email address. I said I didn’t use email, and to send it to me using snail mail. One problem w/Email , the messages comes into the in-box ok, but before that various corporate bots will be reading it and using the content to send adverts, something I don’t need. The other problem with email, since it is free, generates all sorts of crap-content which is a big waste of time sifting through. Ending all my email accounts was one of my best decisions.

Tech is fine as long as it understands its place as my servant, not my master. For example I’m able to download & listen to the Car Talk podcasts without concern I’ll be bombed by 100’s of adverts. That is how tech should work, if tech companies want geezers to use it.

3 Likes

Yes, but then there is the segment of the population that can’t seem to parse the “technology” of the self check-outs at the grocery store. I really feel sorry for the folks whose tech limitations are so severe that they have to stand in long lines at the two remaining “manned” checkouts while I breeze through the self check-out lanes.

1 Like

I generally use the manned lines, but one time the staff lady at the grocery store practically begged me to use the self-serve line. I said I would as long as she did the actual checkout for me, press all the buttons herself, which she agreed to do. Big mistake. I purchased 4 items that were on a big price reduction sale if purchased 4 at a time. She made a mistake & only scanned 3 of them, so I got charged a much higher price. I pointed this out , she replied since I was only charged for 3 and got 4, what was I complaining about? So I had to painstakingly run her through the math showing I paid more for 3 than I would have paid for 4. Then I asked her for a cash refund. “No, I have to run your card again, the refund will go to the card”. I said “It’s one of these Calif Covid rebate cards, very strict rules apply to it.” She ignored me, the computer of course refused to allow the refund go to the card. So she paid me in cash. Then I noticed I had been charged $7 by the card company for attempting to get a refund applied to the card … lol … there are still a dozen pages of paperwork running across the country to deal with that problem.

You can’t figure out the “technology” of the self check-outs at the supermarket? Yikes…
What will you do in a few years when they are the only way to purchase your groceries?