Testing Costco's Kirkland Full Synthetic Motor Oil

As a side note, I’ve been a fan of Project Farm’s videos for over a year now, and they are all amazingly well put together. While not perfect (even he says that), the tests are pretty thorough and he strives for consistency. There’s a test video for seemingly everything on the channel.

Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it. , That is exactly what I meant.

OIL QUALITY IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. I changed the oil in my Lincoln Town Car 3 times in 270K miles and used any oil I could find sittin around. Still ran good when I got rid of it because the paint was toast.

1 Like

CAR WAX QUALITY IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

68 Triumph TR250-paint still good, 60 Austin Healey 3000 still good, 63 XKE still good, 67 Camaro so so, 69 T bird so so, 37 Chev roadster pickup eh, 60 Willys wagon not so good…

You changed the oil every 50,000 miles or so?

Yeah, whether it needed it–or not.
:wink:

1 Like

The 50,000 mile oil change wasn’t necessary. The engine was permanently lubricated for life at the factory.

4 Likes

That would have been overkill.
He did it every 90,000.

I’m not a math major but my calculator says 270 divided by 3 = 90,000 miles. I dunno, it would be easier to remember to just round it off and change oil every 100,000 but also wax it at the same time with whatever is on sale at Costco. :nauseated_face: People have been jailed though for far less crimes against humanity. Others fled to Argentina.

If he changed every 90,000 miles, it might not be quite due for its third oil change. Don’t want to waste money on oil. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, figuring the third change came at 150,000 and the next one would be at 200,000.

Maybe he/she/it/them will come back and clarify. Time to go outside.

Exactly!
There is no need to rush things when we all know that those oil changes are just a “wallet flush”.
:smirk:

2 Likes

Back in high school the gas station I worked at had a customer who never changed his oil. He only changed the filter ever 25,000 miles.

He bought new cars and kept them for 100,000 miles. It worked for him.

So you put “oil quality is extremely important” in all caps, and then tell us you used whatever crap you had sitting around to change oil every 90,000 miles? I’m sensing a logical disconnect there.

4 Likes

I did that because I figured it would get people’s attention. Some people have an absolute obsession when it comes to oil changes and I just thought I’d share this experience. I change oil more regularly in most of my cars but not as often as most people do. Fact is I indeed bought the Lincoln with 50K miles on it and did in fact only change the oil 3 times by the time it hit 270K. The engine quality has a lot to do with it. If it is a good engine by design and assembled properly the oil will last longer. My Father-in law owned limited hydroplanes and built his own engines. He had one that Steve Reynolds drove that ran an entire season without an oil change.

@Jeffrey_Johnson. I just follow the owner’s manual on oil changes. I grew up in the day when 2000 mile oil changes were the norm.
The type of driving and the weather conditions make a difference. If a car is used for long distance highway travel in warm weather conditions, a person can go probably three times as far as stop and start short distance cold weather driving. Modern cars with computer controlled fuel injection and electronic ignition systems are much easier on oil than the points and condenser ignition and carburetors that dump.fuel in the engine.
Today’s oils are certainly better than motor oils of the 1950s and 1960s. I remember when oil passages in the engine block would.become plugged with sludge even when regular oil changes by the book were performed. I did oil changes even more often than required in a 1965 Rambler that I once owned and still had an oil passage in the block get plugged up.with sludge. I bought the car in 1965 with 7,000.miles on the odometer. The problem occurred seven years later at 90,000 miles. A shop that did a lot of work on trucks pulled the cylinder head, chucked a piece of speedometer cable in an electric drill and reamed out the oil passage. My bill for this work was $45. The shop owner said this was a common problem with that engine. He had seen the same problem in International pickups that used the same engine. He said that unless I had changed the oil and filter every 1000 miles, there was little I could do to prevent the problem. That’s why today I am hesitant to go beyond the manufacturer’s recommendations on oil changes. I don’t think I could find anyplace today that would remove and replace the cylinder head and clean out an oil passage for $45.