Test drive of a Tesla

No, it is not small. But the cars in its class are also large. The Models S is not overly heavy given the competition it faces in gasoline or diesel powered cars.

Weight is much less important if you’re not buying gas for it… :smile:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/17/california-hits-brakes-electric-vehicle-infrastruc.aspx?source=eogyholnk0000001&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article&ref=yfp.

The above post link is to an article about California regulators refusing the power company request to build about 25,000 new charging stations for electric vehicles and limiting such new stations to a tenth of that at about 2,500.

When the states figure out how to get the lost road tax revenue,the game should be on again,I think Teslas should be equipped with a hitch,to add a range extender battery cart if desired or pull a small trailer,the priority juice could come from the cart and the cart could could be swapped a recharging stations(I know it would be dead weight when depleted-but you could also add some utility to the the “cart” too.

When the states figure out how to get the lost road tax revenue,the game should be on again

There’s a new law being proposed in NH that will add a registration tax to all electric and hybrid vehicles. The problem I have with this…is the money our state adds to gas…does NOT go to repairing the roads. If they actually put the tax towards the roads…then we wouldn’t have close to 500 bridges in NH that are in need of desperate repair.

I agree with the Cali legislators that moderate growth in recharging stations is appropriate. If the 2500 recharging stations become overcrowded, then PGE can ask for more money to build another block of stations. Of course, this request might be a negotiating tactic to get money for stations. Ask for far more than you really want and “settle” for as many as you would be happy with, and maybe even more.

In the California effort to limit recharging stations I suspect influence of the New Car Dealers Association and perhaps the petroleum lobbies.

1,000 EVs will use the same amount of power whether they do it from home or at charging stations. All this does is impede sales of EVs. Automobile dealer lobbies have been doing everything possible to limit the sales of Teslas. In many states the Automobile Dealer Association lobbies have attempted to get legislation passed to prohibit Tesla’s desired direct-sales model, protecting their overhead-saturated franchise model. Their efforts have had spotty success, but their efforts continue. These “restraint of trade” laws are dealer-industry protective.

I think the Tesla is about 1000 lbs overweight compared to the cars in its class. 3800 lbs is about right for an “E” class, A6 or 5 series size car. Makes sense if the battery weighs 1200 lbs and a full tank of gasoline weighs 100-150 lbs. Throw in the large amount of copper to transmit the energy and that pretty well covers it.

Believe it or not,they are considering an electric airliner(still has a gas turbine engine to charge the battery banks)weight is a big consideration on the big copper buss wires feeding the “fans”,superconducting wires have been suggested,dont know if I like this idea or not.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that PGE wants the State of California to foot the bill for the recharging stations. If that is not true, then why would the state care how PGE spends its profits? Big changes of any sort magnify any error that occur. I much prefer going slowly. 2500 charging stations seems like a good increment that will show problems if they exist and won’t require the astonishing cost that 10 times more stations might incur.

Wow. Imagine that. A car manufacturer engaged in a shady (in California… maybe not in many other states; these laws are state statutes, not federal) marketing practice.
Sorry, but I’m skeptical of this without seeing all the facts. Even then, car sales being one of the shadiest industries there is, I wouldn’t let this affect my high opinion of Tesla. My respect for Tesla is based on what they’ve achieved rather than how they sell their cars.

I never before knew that such referral discounts are illegal. Learn something new everyday.

They may or may not be in other states. Each state has its own statutes regulating auto sales.

Uh-oh: Consumer Reports no longer recommends the Tesla because of poor reliability. So there was something to the problems Edmunds had with theirs, after all!
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-consumer-reports-tesla-models-20151020-story.html

I think Teslas should be equipped with a hitch,to add a range extender battery cart if desired or pull a small trailer,
So, in other words, add a cumbersome trailer to...turn a Tesla into a Volt?

Huh? ‘Bird dog fees’ illegal? Must be a California thing. In my (admittedly few) dealings with car salespeople, they always gave me a handful of business cards at the end and told me there’d be at least $50 - $100 in it for me if I sent them anyone who ended up buying a car from them. Of course its been well over a decade since I purchased a car from a dealer, so my info isn’t current. The company that installed my solar panels is sending me mailings 3 - 4 times a year offering me $500 if I can send them anyone who ends up purchasing a system from them.

" I think Teslas should be equipped with a hitch,to add a range extender battery cart if desired or pull a small trailer,

So, in other words, add a cumbersome trailer to…turn a Tesla into a Volt? "

That reminds me of that call Tom & Ray took from the guy with the Mazda Miata (his mid-life crisis car) who needed a place to stow a car cover; and they told him to hook up a small trailer. Hook up a trailer to a Mazda Miata (or a Tesla?) Kinda ruins the whole point of having such a car in the first place, doesn’t it? :smiley:

First they love it, now they hate it. I heard a report on the radio today saying that Consumers Reports is no longer in love with the Model S. It isn’t reliable enough. Now we all have to find something else to do with $120,000 burning a hole in our pockets.