Temporary move and car registration

New York is not one of the states that will make you pay sales tax or other fees based on the value of your car. You will pay a two year registration fee of less than a $100. If you live outside of any of the major metropolitan areas your car insurance should be quite reasonable. If you move west or north of Utica, NY you probably want to invest in a good set of winter tires and wiper blades that won’t ice up in the winter. If you keep your residence in CO while living in NY then don’t bother registering your vehicle in NY. Otherwise you should register in NY if you intend to stay here for over 90 days.