Teenage drivers

I WOULD TELL YOU TO GET A SUV.(LIKE A CHEVY BLAZER)WHILE OLD CARS WERE MADE TO HOLD UP IN A ACCIDENT,NEW CARS WERE MADE TO CRUSH AND ABSORB THE ENERGY.IN A LOWER SPEED ACCIDENT THE OLDER CAR WOULD BE ABLE TO DRIVE AWAY WHILE THE NEWER CAR WOULD HAVE TO BE TOWED.MANY OF THE OLDER CARS AND SUV’S HAVE A FULL FRAME.MOST OF THE NEWER CARS HAVE A UNI BODY.A SMALLER LIGHTER FRAME ATTACHED TO THE BODY OF THE CAR.WHEN I WAS IN MY TEENS I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE FLIPPED A SUV.YOU WILL HAVE PROS AND CONS WITH ALL DECISIONS.I THINK YOU SHOULD SIT DOWN AND HAVE A CHAT WITH HIM.TELL HIM THERE ARE NO SECOND CHANCES.I HAVE SEEN MANY OF MY FRIENDS DIE IN AUTOS!!!

RAYBOOS, WE DON’T TALK LIKE THIS ANY MORE!

Please lower your voice and take the “caps lock” off, please. YOU’RE SHOUTING! Also, it is very difficult to read all capitals and we would love to hear from you.
Everyone is welcome here!

Domestic=lower maint. cost

Not in experience of car/truck ownership in the past 35+ years of driving.

Domestic = (foreign maintenance costs) * n (n > 3).

I see what you are saying, however in most cases toll roads can be avoided by take side streets and such. However, the way I understand it (and I could be wrong), is that if you fancy a drive into downtown London to shop or whatever; you will pay dearly for it. Furthermore what you drive makes a difference as well. For example if you drive an Aston Martin DBS, you will pay considerably more than the guy in 1.1L Fiesta. To me that seems wrong, one would think that the road budget would be covered since the fuel taxes are so high.

its just another form of "rip off britain"as we call it here in the uk!the trouble with us brits,is that we let the government walk all over us.we have 80 percent tax on petrol,then we have road tax(according to engine size)then they want to bring in road tolls in all big towns!where will it end?i bet they will tax the air that we breathe next!!

interesting subject…I have one teen driver and am about 11 months away from the second teen driver. the first teen driver (17-y-o male) has been at it for 1 year… for a teen I would find an 8-12 year old used car (most likely domestic (i’m partial to GM)) that is mid- to large size. this car will have OBD-II capability and front air bags. it will be <$3000. have it examined by a mechanic pre-purchase, bargain hard on the purchase, and maintain it by the owners manual.

My current teen driver is in a 96 Pontiac Grand Am 2.4L. We have put some maintenance work and repair work (heater core, tires, brakes) in the car and upgraded the sound system. he has turned out to be pretty responsible, but we have ridden him pretty hard all his life. Say and mean, “you wreck it, you walk” AND “no alcohol, no drugs, no drag racing, no sideshows” AND “obey the law”!!!

in the Bay Area, the Japanese autos are way over priced; for me the balance between price and safety drove things. expect the insurance bill to be high. avoid two-door cars and standard transmission to save on insurance.

daugther to drive soon and wants a small SUV (blazer, bravada, jimmy, explorer). very responsible, but i have no sense of her driving skill. in CA parents are required to do 50 hours of driving with the teen in the 6 months before the teen can sit for the license. i did about 150 hours with my 17-y-o son in the 6 month period. it was time very well spent. no accidents, one ticket (not guilty) knock on wood. with my 24 year-old son i only did 2 hours before he took the test (different rules back then) and he got into a fender bender the first month. thankfully he was in an (large) Olds 98…

It is a nervous time; expect more gray hair, but the stress will be for a finite period. In other words, they eventually grow up…good luck

We went the “Mom’s car to the kid, new car for Mom” route. Kid got the 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe, Mom got a Mini Cooper. Mom and kid are very happy! Seriously, we thought about sharing - but kid is busy with school activities and a part-time job, and that would be very tough. We considered an older used car, but felt the safety features were critical. Deal is that it is NOT his car - it is a family car, and not necessarily for his exclusive use.

We also printed out a contract so everything was very clear - who pays for gas, how many passengers, etc. It was on the Michigan state website, secretary of state.

i bet they will tax the air that we breathe next!!

Shhhh
don’t give them any ideas :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that the teen should buy at least part of the car too. Maybe make matching funds available. When the money is ready, get a Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis. They are inexpensive and reliable.

Geo Metro or Geo Tracker 4x4

General rules for teen drivers:

1. a dull car, not something flashy or sporty, that will tempt them to do stupid things to impress their friends

2. if not a car with lots of safety features (ABS, air bags, etc.), then at least one with lots of metal around them

3. make the teen pay for at least part of the ride (gas, insurance, maintenance). If they have some skin in the game (driving is a privilege, not a right), they’re less likely to do excessive things

4. establish very clear rules for safety – no alcohol ever, no friends in the car until they have a year or more under their belt, use seat belts

5. they pay tickets, insurance surcharges, and any other consequences of doing stupid things. You’re NOT going to bail them out or buy them a fancy lawyer if they’re arrested on serious charges