Teenage drivers

Unloaded pickup trucks are noted for having very poor traction, and this can lead to some dangerous handling conditions on wet and slippery surfaces. This is not something that an inexperienced driver is likely to be able to deal with. Also, trucks usually do not have the same level of passenger protection as cars.

I haven’t had a problem with my Regal LS - with the dreaded 3.8L OHV engine. I would not hesitate to buy another if I were in the market.

Of you go to Websites dedicated to Buicks…you’re in the minority.

When my daughters were in high school, safety and reliability were big considerations, but we also had to consider purchase price and insurance costs.

We bought them Volvo 240s. No side air bags, no stability control, not even antilock brakes, but a body sturdy enough to stand up to a collision with a big SUV.

Not fast enough to encourage fast driving, not sexy enough to encourage showing off. Reliable enough to give a reasonable confidence that it would bring them home safely at night.

They learned to change tires and change oil. They helped me with all the other maintenance tasks, including changing struts and a head gasket, so they know how a car works and what is involved in diagnosing and repairing a problem, so they can deal effectively with mechanics.

One daughter learned why I drilled them to watch out for hydroplaning, and not to hit the brakes in a curve. She also learned the importance of a car being designed to understeer, when she slid off a rainy exit one night. (no damage to car or girl).

It was also nice to have a car that could be left in the school parking lot the whole weekend without worrying about theft or vandalism.

When the girls were in their second year of college and had proved that they could drive and take care of a car, they each got a 328 BMW. Still a safe, solid little car, but a lot prettier, so they take pride in them and keep them washed and waxed when I am not there to remind them.

Was it uphill both ways too? :slight_smile:

I know most will disagree with me. But I would recommend a full-sized Ford Bronco. The resaoning behind this is that A. They are cheap to fix and robustly constructed. 2. The fuel economy is so poor that the driver will have to think twice if they really need to drive somewhere. 3. Contray to popular opinion, since it’s pretty wide it is quite stable and doesn’t rollover as easily as say an Explorer.

When I was 16 I had a 74 2WD with a 390, 3 on the tree, 4.11 gears, no power steering, and no power brakes. I managed to get through the blizzard of 1996 without too much trouble. If anything learning to drive in a vehicle like that makes you a better driver.

In-laws besides owning Subaru own Buicks all with V6’s(did not know recent ones were non 6 cylinder except few 8’s). They run them into the 200k+ range with limited maintenance(eg regular oil/tranny changes but nothing else). Some have had an intake gasket issue but paid for the fix and all done. No worse than paying for a timing belt replacement on another make.

Well, you know the old saying, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”!

I’m sure that it did help you to become a better driver, but the fact remains that an inexperienced driver will be in more danger in one of these vehicles until he gains good driving skills.

Do you have any aging vehicles in your own fleet. A car from a relative or friend who you know takes care of it and has reasonable driving style is best.

A good amount of my friends in high school drove their parents 80’s Subaru’s. They either inherited or simply drove them. I lived in NH white mountains and this was a very common car. Basically we drove what our parents did and were content.

An underpowered car is meaningless. Many of my friends found the top speed of Subaru’s were around 100MPH and a few their parents Legacy’s close to 130MPH. All cars go fast.

Depending on how old the teen is, now is also the time to establish a CREDIT RATING ! Aha, bet you didn’t think of that one. As my dad did with me at 16. I saved up enough cash to buy the 68 Dodge van but instead opened a savings/checking account with it and saved it there. Then we bought the van on credit with dad’s co-sign using the pre-saved money to pay every payment exactly on time. The perfect history on both the car loan and the checking account was the ace in the hole that my credit rating needed to get started on the right foot.
Use this opportunity to do more than just put the kid in a car.

I love how people post questions and get half of the board to respond and simply vanish. You’re welcome.

Yah, I hope she returns and at least reads these before all this good advice escapes her.

i agree,underpowered is meaningless!!!in england young people go for a ford fiesta 1.2 litre,(75 bhp)or similar,and even they are capable of up to 110mph!!i cant believe the diffrence between the uk and the usa!do you really want a teenager driving round in a v8 engined crown vic,as someone mentioned??in the uk insurance rates are sky high for teenagers,so they have to buy a small car with a small engine!

In the US insurance rates are based on the accident history of the make and model. Not so much size, but how much the insurance companies have paid out on behalf of their customers with that same car. The big Crown Vics with V8s tend to be grandma and grandpa cars and have a really good record for not costing the insurance companies much in claims, so they are cheap to insure. Yes, young drivers’ insurance still costs more because they are more likely to have an accident, but as long as it’s not a sports model the size of the car and engine don’t affect the insurance rate much.

It is always good to check with one’s insurance agent to get a specific quote before buying any used car. Certain small Honda models might easily cost more for insurance than the Crown Vic due their popularity with the “tuner” and street racing crowd.

I’ve heard that. It’s unfortunate that the British people tolerate such ridiculous insurance rates and oppressive fuel taxation. And now they have road pricing? If the federal government tried to pull that crap over here there would be riots.

It’s Deja-Vu, All Over Again!
Like in 1776?

Not Disagreeing…,
but don’t those things go uphill all the time?

And now they have road pricing? If the federal government tried to pull that crap over here there would be riots.

What is the difference between road pricing and tolls?

I think you overestimate the American people’s pugnacity.

its funny though in the uk,people think a 2.0 litre is a big engine!i was in new york on holiday in august,and when i told people when i came back to england, taxis in nyc have 4.6 litre v8 engines they couldnt believe it!we have black cabs with dirty diesel engines over here.im in my 30s so insurance is relatively cheap,but my nephew whose 23,has to pay ?2000 insurance on a ford focus!..ok it is the high performance one,but its still a lot of money.

No worse than paying for a timing belt replacement on another make.

Except that if you’re NOT diligent about checking your coolant and oil levels you’ll end up destroying your engine. A intake manifold gasket replacement also costs a LOT more then MOST timing belts replacement. I’ll take a car with a timing belt over a car that’s prone to intake manifold leaks any day.