Teen Driver Rant

I guess that makes it okay in your opinion, but not mine.

Me being the, ex-long haired hippie pot smoking type turned to my long time best friend (also the ex-hippie long hair pot smoking type) and said “people were wrong to judge us by the way we used to look”, almost exactly at the same time we both roared, “NO THEY WERN’T”

Some of the fellows in my age group individualized their cars as teen-agers. They went on to become top flight mechanics or even engineers. Doing modifications on their cars for better performance helped develop their mechanical skills. I, on the other hand, didn’t do much except try to keep the car running. As a result, I’m only proficient with two tools: 1) a sledge hammer; and 2) a propane torch. I repair things by either beating them tgo pieces or burning them up.
Perhaps the “ricing up” of a car by a teenager today may help him or her develop valuable mechanical skills.

Yeah, Just like “hacking” into places they don’t belong via the internet gives them networking security skills.

I agree with you about 50%, I too hate those cars, but thats just because they arent my style; a car should be able to back-up its performance. I also hate those drivers, but the ones in the rice cars are no different then the snob in a BMW.

just dont generalize, the dangerous punks in the tuners are different then the kid in the pickup packing a 383 (thats a modified engine).

Love the “roof scoop”… ha ha

Except that “ricing up” a car is not usally illegal.

(as a computer “geek” I must note that a hacker uses his/her skills to help. a cracker or using the skills to crack is bad)

Wow, thanks for everyone’s reply. That picture of the honda civic is hilarious! But as for the comments about my age, I am indeed 18 years old. People have told me I act more mature than my age, but I just associate it with having common sense, and paying attention in school. You know, look both ways before you cross the street, and studying for tests etc. etc. I am far from being wise, and I have a long way before I’m fully mature. I still make my fair share of stupid teen mistakes. But I really appreciate that all of you said that. Oh and as for the “older” accord, It was just a way of saying that it was used…

You are far wiser than your years. I predict you will travel in your corporate jet to your high school reunion. Your friends will travel on their frequent flyer miles or drive in their soccer mom vans.

I don’t think you’re offending anyone. I don’t think many ricers read this forum or listen to NPR.

Keep your faith, mb. There’s about 40,000 dead every year on our killing fields–er–highways here in the US. If everyone drove like you it would be way lower. I lost my license for 5 years during my 20’s–just on points, no DUI. Now I drive right out of the driver’s manual. It doesn’t make you uncool, either.

I still make my fair share of stupid teen mistakes.

Those are the lessons you’re most likely to remember. Tuition for the school of life.

“Yeah, Just like “hacking” into places they don’t belong via the internet gives them networking security skills”.
Sometime back, we actually hired a student who had been hacking into places where he didn’t belong to make our systems more secure. Besides, it was better to have him on our side, or as the late Lyndon Johnson said of J. Edgar Hoover: “It’s better to have him inside our tent pxxxing out than outside our tent pxxxing in”.

Nope, my dad is 50 years old. I’m 18… Although people used to poke fun at me in school for talking like an “old man.”

I completely agree with you. Mechanical skills are highly important, and individualization is a great way to be expressed through cars. I have a motto: “People should just mind their own business and get on with their lives.” With that said, I have absolutely no problem with them honing their mechanical skills by making modifications to their car, I just don’t happen to agree with their sense of style. But worst of all, all those mods and testosterone poisoned brain (I am no exception to that!), make them all feel like they have to right to drive like maniacs and put me, my family, and other families in danger. Thats what I truly dislike.

I still make my share too, but now they’re called “old man mistakes”.

I have to add that I’m impressed by your grasp of the written language. I routinely have in my occupation occasion to read many papers written by young people your age, and much of what I read shows a serious lack of ability to articulate a thought…or even spell or construct a reasonable sentence.

The wisest of us are the ones who know they still have a lot to learn. Only with that wisdom can we continue to grow.

My impression is that you have a good head on your shoulders and great promise. Sincere best in your future endeavors.