Teen driver looking for a reliable first car!

The Ford Focus would be worth looking at, the ones from the early 2000’s had some problems but I’m pretty sure the 2005+ Focus’s are much better,assuming the one you’re looking at has been maintained. The Volvo S60 is a nice car but from experience with Volvo’s the care and feeding will make most anything else on your list look very cheap.

You’re looking at used cars that are roughly half a dozen years old. Any used car is a gamble no matter what badge is no the back end or how many miles are on it.

I don’t care what Consumer Reports says. Even they cannot say with reasonable certainty that any 6 year old car that you’re considering will be reliable.
Even the most thorough of inspections pre-purchase by the most competent of mechanics is not a guarantee of buying a problem free ride. It bumps the odds up a bit in your favor is all.

Increasing the odds of getting a good ride is all you can ask for.

@ok4450 You are taking a chance buying just about any used car and not everyone has the same track record with a certain brand or model. CR reports what problems have been noted in the survey sent out to subscribers averaged out for the age of the vehicle. The particular used car may have more problems than the average example or it could go nearly forever with normal servicing. But from our families experience certain brands like Honda and Mazda hold up better than some domestic brands like Chrysler.

A pre purchase inspection tells you what kind of shape the vehicle is in at that moment including things that will need to be fixed in the near future. Having a regular mechanic who looks over the vehicle 1-2 times a year will help improve your odds of a reliable vehicle.

Volvo, never. There is a reason a premium car is so cheap. Focus, maybe. By then they had been making them for years with few mechanical changes. I had a Focus of that era as a rental a few years ago. The only thing I really didn’t like was the road noise. Newer cars usually have more soundproofing than that car seemed to have. Listening to music wasn’t very pleasant. Otherwise, it was just OK. Not outstanding at anything.

I m gonna go against the grain a little bit.

first I m gonna assume you are not a car expert yet. I realize that some kids grow up in an autocentric family, and do know a lot about cars, but most don t. I thought I knew a little but was wrong.

so I m gonna suggest that you go for something cheap and disposable for your first car. something you ll be glad to be rid of when it goes.

I say this because its likely that you will make quite a few mistakes in caring for the first car.
so I say learn all you can on the first one without risking too much if you ruin it.

that said, an old corolla might fit this and the above suggestions. an old boat like a caprice or crown Victoria is also a good suggestion. the size does offer some safety for you.

chances are you ll find some sporty thing that you can t live without tho, that s normal too.
just be careful, the road is not a safe place even for experienced drivers