Taurus cuts out on acceleration

The jumper wire goes from signal return to self test input. If I read it from the other side of the EEC Test, the side that does not have the wires, it works. It reads 57. The check engine light codes on cigroller reference is Axod Circuit Failure. What in the the world is an Axod? Where is my axod? I know what circuit failure is.

The AXOD is the transmission. Why a circuit problem with the transmission would make the car cut out on acceleration I can’t say. It could be a different issue.

Start by simply inspecting the wiring harness for the transmission.

Now would be a good time to clarify your initial post:
“cuts out for two seconds on rapid acceleration, and the check engine lights goes off for ten seconds.”

What cuts out for 2 seconds? The engine? As in it stalls? The dashboard lights up? Describe exactly what happens.

The check engine light goes off for ten seconds right after that and then comes back on?

The engine stalls, cuts out completely for an instant or two seconds and the check engine light goes off. The engine comes back on right away. The check engine light then comes back on in a short time, about ten seconds or less. I can find nothing wrong with the wiring harness going to the transmission.

From the manual that came with my Actron scanner: “Certain 91 & newer vehicles use 3 digit codes” Your 95 Taurus is one of these. That 57 code is bogus. If you google “1995 Taurus trouble codes” you will see what i mean. A code 157 “MAF sensor signal voltage is too low” would be a nice match for your symptoms .

Your analysis sounds good! How do I increase the signal voltage on my Mass Air Flow sensor?

You can’t increase it. Start by simple cleaning of the sensor and visual inspection of the wiring & harness. MAF sensor cleaners are readily available at all auto parts stores. Just pull the senor and spray down the sensor wires liberally with some of the cleaner. Careful with them as they are delicate, so don’t try to physically scrub them or anything - just blast them with the cleaner.

Look for cracks, breaks, corrosion, etc. on the wiring & harness. If you see nothing obvious you can check the voltage coming over the wiring itself with a multimeter. You’d need to look up the true specs in a manual or online, but often a MAF will be a 3 wire item that gets a 4.5V reference voltage and then returns something back to the PCM at something like a low of .5V at closed throttle to about 4.5V was WOT. The third wire will be the ground.

Either way, spray down the connectors liberally with some of the MAF cleaner (its basically electronics cleaner anyway), ad a dab of dialectric grease, plug it all back in & see where things stand.

We did it! I looked up the three digit codes in my big emissions manual and 157 is Mass Air Flow sensor. I replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor with a rebuilt from my favorite parts store for eighty five dollars and the engine accelerates perfectly and the check engine light is never on. That car is good for another 180,000 miles. I had to cut the gasket since the Ford dealer said it was obsolete. I now know how to get the check engine light to flash and tell me what is wrong. The Taurus is the only 1995 Ford with OBD1. Thanks for your help!

Well that is some very good news. Good job & congrats on the fix.