Tan / Latte colored oil; water in it? Infrequent Use

2003 Volkswagen Jetta VR6:

I have only driven my car an average of 5 miles per day for the past 5 months and did not even drive it, or start it for 1 entire month out of those 5. Because I have driven the car so little, I didn’t have the oil changed in those 5 months, either (which, on second thought, I probably should have).

I just had the oil changed today and the mechanic showed me that the oil was tan / latte / cream in color - he said it was water in the oil / condensation buildup. Could this be due to me using the car so infrequently? I may also note it is winter here - Iowa - and has been cold for the past 5 months.

He gave me a can of BG Products MOA and said that should help get rid of the condensation. I’m also taking a 2.5 hour trip this weekend, which should help burn some of the condensation off; I hope?

I don’t think it is a head gasket problem, and am optimistically thinking it might just be because of the infrequent use - the engine may not be getting up to normal operating temperature on these short trips.

Thoughts?

Gratefully,

Dylan

It probably is because of the infrequent use…combined with not running the engine until it’s fully warmed up when you do start it. Yeah, the trip should help get rid of any condensation currently in there, but you need to get the engine up to full temperature when you do use the car. Combustion actually produces water, and if you don’t get it up to temp the moisture can stay in the crankcase, condense there, and turn your oil to the cream latte you were shown. It can also sit in your exhaust system and cause rot there.

" I don’t think it is a head gasket problem, and am optimistically thinking it might just be because of the infrequent use - the engine may not be getting up to normal operating temperature on these short trips. "

You’re Right. It’s Not Getting Up To Temperature And You Can Help Figure Out If The Head Gasket Is The Possible Culprit Or Not.

Check To Make Sure The Coolant Level In The Radiator Is Full And The Level In The Overflow Reservoir Is At The Proper Mark And Monitor Both (ENGINE COLD) For A While.

If you’ve got a temperature gauge make sure it’s normal and not fluctuating very much. Be sure the heater throws heat normally.

If you’re not consuming coolant, and the temp gauge is stable (after warm-up), and heater output (not blowing cold, hot, cold . . . ) is normal, and you don’t blow billowing clouds of steam from the tailpipe, then the head gasket is probably not defective.

Don’t let that oil turn tan. Go To plan B. Oil like that is tough on an engine, especially bearings.

CSA

Thank you, I appreciate both of your replies. I will keep an eye on the coolant level and monitor the temp gauge on this longer trip this weekend.

Dylan, You’re Welcome.
CSA