Taking the fan clutch off of a 87 Ford truck water pump

How do I do it? I’m having a really hard time getting the fan off of the water pump housing. I’ve already taken off the 4 bolts connecting the pulley. I also took off the 4 bolts connecting the fan but reconnected them because the loose fan got in the way of the only other bolt that could be holding it together. It is a large bolt connected to the shaft leading to the inner workings of the pump. I have been told that the bolt might be a reverse thread bolt. Does this bolt need to come off?

I am not exact on your fan clutch but for several years now there has been a special tool required to remove the fan clutch. They can be found anywhere, parts store, mobile jobbers, etc. It is simply known as a fan clutch wrench and it is nothing more than long thin wrenches. Your standard open end won’t do. They even offer them designed to attach to an air hammer for stubborn clutches.

Yep, special wrenches needed. It’s a very tough job without the right wrench.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi06.html

I made the wrenches in a couple of minutes out of some old scrap lumber I had laying around.

One other tip is to look at the top of the plastic fan shroud.
There might be a warning there telling you that the fan clutch has left hand threads. If thats the case turn the wrench clockwise to remove it.

Here is how you determine if the fan clutch has left hand threads…

From ALLDATA.

CAUTION: For removal of the fan clutch retaining nut from the water pump, it is necessary to determine water pump rotation. This is necessary on vehicles that have the single, large fan clutch assembly retaining nut. Attempting to loosen the fan clutch assembly in the wrong direction could result in vehicle damage. Verify the correct thread on replacement units.

Reference the image to see which type of water pump belt routing matches the vehicle that you are working on. Directions for removing the fan clutch assembly may also be included on the vehicle’s fan shroud.

Vehicles that have the water pump turning the same direction as the crankshaft need a left hand threaded nut. These water pumps turn in a clockwise direction.
Vehicles that have the water pump turning the opposite direction as the crankshaft need a right hand threaded nut. These water pumps turn in a counter-clockwise direction

Thanks for the input all of you. I rented/borrowed the wrenches from the local parts store and they worked great. Unfortunatly I broke the last bolt off in the block whil resecuring the pump. This water pump has been an absolute beast. I ap;preciate all of your input.