Synthetic vs.regular oil - questions

I’ve never seen it but I look at synthetic on WMT’s shelves and not the blends so I learned something today. I was wrong. Has to be 20 weight or 5W20 conventional. So it’s 0 wt when cold and 20 weight when hot so does it being a blend with 5W20 conventional hurt??? doubt it.

anything you buy at the dealer is more expensive than aftermarket. And Honda doesn’t make their own oil. But everyone knows this.

True, but I would rather have my dealer take responsibility for my oil change, rather than somewhere else that may well have a 16 year old doing it just for me to save $10/year.

2 Likes

You think your dealer is going to take responsibility if anything goes wrong with your oil change? Interesting.

Probably not. But if the car owner has receipts showing they purchased Honda oil, Honda would have a harder time complaining the oil was responsible.

When Mobil 1 synthetic first came out in the mid 70s it was 21 dollars a quart. Ouch and ouch again…

A service writer I worked with bought a new Smoky and the Bandit Trans Am. On his first oil change he had this done at the Pontiac dealer and requested Mobil 1.
After the sticker shock wore off he said never again…

Our Rav4 requires one oil change every year minimum to maintain extended warranty if mileage is not met.

I get Mobil 1 usually on sale for about $28 for 5 quarts. I get Honda filters 6 at a time for about $5 each. I change my own oil every 5000 miles or less during the panic. When I bought some oil at the Acura dealer, I think it was about $7 for 0-20. The thing was it was a blend and not full synthetic. I think I was in Michigan and needed a quart for my new car. I questioned the counter person that I wanted full synthetic but he said that’s all they use.

I guess I’m kinda fussy but I don’t like having to make appointments for a 1/2 hour job. Now that we’re back on the road again I will have the Acura dealer do the trans, transfer case, and differential shortly.