Synthetic vs reg oil

I have a 2002 buick lesabre that I would like to drive forever. Is there any benefit to using synthetic oil (I’ve used only reg oil up til now)? I live in central Texas where it gets hot but never very cold.

There seems to be no sludge from synthetic oil. I like to believe that there is less wear and seal deterioration with synthetic but there isn’t any way for me to prove it. I have had an engine quit when I ran it out of oil but no other failures from anything but neglect. Castrol had the best informercial for preventing wear years ago.

It adds a layer of protection in severely hot weather if your cooling system is not up to par(eg failing). Otherwise if change reg oil at proper intervals and maintain its proper level your engine will “last forever” with respect to lubrication.

Unless the owner’s manual specifies a synthetic, you should be fine without it. There are advantages to synthetic, even in Texas and even if you are not in one of the parts where it does get really cold. Rather it will mean anything to your or not is questionable. Likely it will not help you.

www.carbibles.com has a good primer on oils. I recommend a visit.

Your wallet will be lighter.

ref

Oh yeah, I would use it if I extended my oil change to 7500 miles. That’s actually what I do.

Synthetic oils can extend the time between oil changes because it doesn’t break down as quickly as natural petroleum products. If you change your oil at least every 7500 miles and your driving is mostly highway (5000 city) then you don’t need synthetic.

Synthetic is over rated. Regular oil is recommended unless you have a turbo. A turbo dose benefit from synthetic oil do to the higher temps before it starts to brake down. This helps to prevent the oil tube from plugging up with sludge that results in turbo failure?

Biggest concern on your car(GM V6) is making sure your intake does not leak coolant into your oil. Very common problem that could destroy your engine. Otherwise, the 3.8L is darn near bullet proof, I would stick with regular oil.

You will run into many car owners who are big fans of synthetic oil. They will tell you they don’t mind paying the extra bucks to protect an expensive engine. But the rest of us seem to get just as many years out of our cars using only crude oil products. Suit yourself.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP! I HAVE A 2002 CHEVY CAMARO, CAN YOU TELL ME HOW I WOULD BE ABLE TO TELL IF THE INTAKE LEAKS COOLANT INTO THE OIL?

If you want to read about oil…www.bobistheoilguy.com
Enough information to make your head spin, and head spinning has been shown to reduce cholesterol.