Sympathy for Blown Engine in Forester

My wife had the same issue with a new Honda,it quit once, oil was added it came back,But the second time,it was total toast-since she has been married to me,she has never had that problem(an interesting side note had a Lady Boss once who had a new chevy pickup,finally coerced Her into popping the hood,it had went 16K or so ,the long dipstick was way below any add markings and basically all that was on the dipstick was varnish,I guess this proves an old small block chevy is tough,but after an oil change it was fine and the guys made sure their oil was checked at every chance,so next time please check Her oil for Her-Kevin

As a side note, how about those BMW models that don’t even have provision for an oil dipstick? What a pretentious, short-sighted move. To determine the oil level, the oil must be drained into a graduated container.

A lot of new cars are getting away from dipsticks. My BMW I can check my oil with my I-drive in seconds and should your oil level get low the orange oil light will come on and you can drive up to 100 miles.

what if the bulb or switch or sensor or relay to the oil light goes bad?

Part of being an adult is accepting the responsibility for your own actions. Nobody’s perfect. Everyone fails to take care of business from time to time. An adult just bucks up and pays the going price for not being diligent. I don’t think you should say anything at all to your girlfriend. Unless she asks for your advice, just say nothing. It’s not rocket science, the problem is just a hunk of metal and bolts is all. Let her take care of the problem.

I agree that rubbing it in is of no help, she could become as mean to you as my wife is to me.

She’s burning dinner as we speak!!!

I’d just let her work it out and at some point offerto show her how to check the oil.

Honey, I know you had to spend a lot of money replacing the engine in your car. If you’d like to…some day…I could show you how easy it is to check it, so it doesn’t happen again…but for right now…let me take you out to a nice dinner.

Yosemite

Oh the pictures we have in our minds. Burned dinner? I have this picture of being chased by a back hoe.

She had to leave the backhoe behind when she retired.

I had a rare pork chop.
I had some limburger after dinner to kill any little critters.

Yosemite

@Yosemite … you should consider stand-up comedy as a back-up job! …Thanks for the funny stories … lol …

Thank’s @GeorgeSanJose; I always try to find the homor in things. It’s better that being a grump all the time.

Yosemite

If shes really your girlfriend you shouldnt need to be so nervous about this situation. Tell her she is in fact wrong, and this is why you maintain a car, then move on to helping her from there. Its not chauvinistic, theyre just facts.

Check the cars owners manual for oil change intervals. Some new cars actually do suggest 7-8k intervals (although i personally disagree). If the manual suggests intervals like that, then Id say you’ve got a good chance of being covered.

My 2012 Camry owners manual suggests checking the oil once a month. I have never seen a manual requiring checking the oil at every fill up. This wasn’t as much of a problem with the 3000 mile oil changes. Most people should be using the severe service schedule ( short trip driving? ) which is 3750 for thr Forrester.