Suitable container to carry 1 gallon of gasoline in the trunk or rear of SUV?

NO!!!
If you did, you had better be certain it’s a hermetically sealed switch. A spark next to a fuel line spurting fuel is a recipe for disaster. The pump is designed to maintain 40psi+. Spurting fuel is what you’d get if you energized the pump with a fuel valve opened. If the switch caused a spark you’d get even more action.

I strongly strongly recommend not trying to modify the fuel line in any way.

You would not be modifying the fuel line, many vehicles have a port with a Schraeder valve to test fuel pressure. You would just screw on your adapter with a hose to the port and energize the fuel pump somehow. The switch need not be near the fuel in any way.

I think we are getting way too nervous and paranoid here.

I’m sorry Rick, but I think it’s a bad idea.

The only thing close to what has been asked for as a solution was; my neighbor had an unlicensed plow truck he used on our road…so he could not very well just run out and fill it up. He used a couple of 5 gallon boat tanks with the attached siphon tubing. The tanks had a low center of gravity and are normally relieved on bottom so they could be strapped in the back for safety. When the truck need a refill, he would unstrap the plastic tank, set it on the roof, then shove the tubing into the gas fill tube and with a few squeezes of the bulb, the gas flowed freely into the tank while we had lunch. Not as fast as pouring but a relatively safer set up then ordinary 5 gallon cans with the boat tanks control over ventilation and gas flow. It worked very effectively for him for many, many years and still does.

Having given the above description for only a low speed local situation, Except for trips to the station to get fuel for my tools and toys, I would never ever carry gasoline in a car or truck other then in the provided tank. The only exception is in a boat or other on an attached trailer, well away from the tow vehicle.NEVER INSIDE !

"... many vehicles have a port with a Schraeder valve to test fuel pressure. You would just screw on your adapter with a hose to the port and energize the fuel pump..."
Love that idea! Unknown if our Camry and Expedition have such valves. But this is getting a lot more complicated than a gas container in the trunk.

How many ways can we say this: THIS IS A STUPID IDEA!!

"THIS IS A STUPID IDEA!!"
What is so stupid about connecting a hose to an existing valve and opening the valve enough to flow 2 gallons of gasoline into someone's empty tank? Then closing the valve, tightening its cap in place, lifting the hose high and draining the remaining fuel from the hose into the tank? The hose could then be tied outside the vehicle to evaporate residual gasoline.

All it takes is an accident that impacts the weak spots you’ve created in the system (if you don’t have a test port and tap into the system yourself), or an accidental spark while you’re flowing gas from your tank, or even some idiot with a room temperature IQ lighting a cigarette, and suddenly you’ll have a full scale disaster on your hands. All because someone ran out of gas. It just isn’t worth the risk.

Robert, I honor your desire to help others. But I still feel this is a bad idea.

We all know that Robert can be a little hard to discourage once he gets an idea in his head, but taking off on Dagosa’s idea, maybe pull the tank and install a separate pick up tube with a separate hose coming out of it. Attach a bulb or electric pump then so you are pulling gas from the tank and not connected at all to the injection system-just a totally separate port.

I don’t like the idea, but IMHO if Robert feels he must provide gas to stranded motorists, a gas can from an army surplus store (or a new can of same design) well secured to a rack on the outside of the vehicle, perhaps protected by a carrier rack like those used for extra cargo, is much safer than tapping into the fuel line even if one does plan to use an existing test port.

Robert, you might also want to check with the fire department and with your insurance. I’d hate to see something happen and you find out you’re not covered because you’ve violated a fire code.

Apparently, then, there IS no suitable container to carry one gallon of gasoline safely, which I find astounding since tens of thousands of us do it everyday without any problems…

Your fire department can advise you on that subject.

I think he said he is the fire department or at least a member.

Fortunately, I am not in my fire department’s jusidiction.

One can take reasonable risks to accomplish the task. No more risky than pouring gas from a gas container into the other’s filler tube.
What is going to happen with the valve and hose method?
It’s not like I would do it while smoking one of Tom’s cigars.

03:24 Now departing on a bloodelivery to a mountan hospital.
How many deer will I see along the interstate?

One can take reasonable risks to accomplish the task.

What I thought were reasonable risks back in my 20s have somehow gotten more riskier over the years.

Apparently, then, there IS no suitable container to carry one gallon of gasoline safely, which I find astounding since tens of thousands of us do it everyday without any problems...

Obviously there are containers…but not one of those containers are made for LONG-TERM storage in ones vehicle.

If what Robert had in mind had any merit…then AAA would be doing it. Even AAA just carries around gallons of gas in a special tank in the pickup bed.

@Caddyman: “Apparently, then, there IS no suitable container to carry one gallon of gasoline safely, which I find astounding since tens of thousands of us do it everyday without any problems.”

Most of us only do it from the nearest gas station to our house, with the windows down for ventilation or with the fuel container in the trunk and strapped down. We don’t do it for long distances and we don’t do it every day. We certainly don’t do it barreling down the highway at 100+ miles per hour. The only people who do it every day are those who affix the tanks to the vehicle outside.

Now Robert is contemplating modifying his fuel system to accomplish this goal, which seems like a strange obsession to me. Yes, I like to help people too, but not so much that I’d risk mishandling something as volatile as gasoline. There is just no way that, in my mind, the reward is worth the risk in this scenario.

@Bing. "We all know that Robt, can be a little hard to discourage once he gets an idea in his head…"
Spoken like the consummate gentleman you are !

Robert - Modifying the car’s electrical system to let you run the fuel pump when the car’s off (part of the ‘hook up a line to the fuel line port’ idea) is a bad idea, if done incorrectly it could result in the pump running after an accident, since you’re bypassing the normal wiring.

Not knowing whether you are capable of doing these kind of modifications safely, I consider any changes that have the potential to result in ‘fire and death’ as “STUPID”. In my humble opinion, of course…

There is one other as-yet unmentioned issue at stake. If something bad happens during the fuel transfer, there’s a good chance of getting sued… and losing everything you have. Countless good Samaritans have for countless selfless acts. It happens all the time.