Suggestions for newish car

Corolla, Camry, or Accord would be my choices in terms of bang for the buck, but any of the OP’s other choices should do the job reliably, economically, & in good fashion. If you are willing to drive a manual transmission configuration, that will likely save you some $$$ & grief down the line, since you say you like to drive your cars for many, many miles.

Thanks. I guess I can’t really go wrong with the major players…Honda toyota. I love the look of the Mazda but I don’t know anyone that had one for a long time or at least I have not heard long term ownership stories. I really thought I would get to 300k with the Volvo. :frowning:

Most cars don’t make it to 300k.

The Rav4 would be a great choce as well, very reliable and doesn’t have the Turbo or CVT that could be a concern with the CRV.

Dad’s only 6mo in with his 2019 CRV but gets 31mpg
with more back road (40mph) than highway driving.

Those three kids are going to grow. A lot of the choice will depend on how large you and your wife are. I was 6’3 and my sons were 6’ 3" and 6’ 5"

I am a cheapskate and find that CPO Hyundai’s are the sweet spot. They depreciate more than Honda and Toyota and they are decent cars as far as reliability, at least for us. You get the CPO warranty that is helpful.
You have to note that the biggest expense in car ownership is the original purchase.
I don’t think you will get 300K miles, unless you are lucky or drive on the fwy only.
Also, usually buy the time you are close to 200K miles, your needs would probably change, technology also changes, so you would want something else.

I’d take all those seats down to a Carmax and see which of those cars fit them.

3 Likes

The back seat of a Corolla will accommodate three adults in a pinch but not necessarily comfortably. Three kids–even in booster seats–should be doable. There’s only about 2 1/2" difference in width between a Corolla and a Camry so you wouldn’t gain a whole lot. Sites like Edmunds.com have dimensions of various cars if you want to check before you go to the lot.

Maybe you should think about a minivan. You get three rows with easy access. With 8 passenger seating, all 3 children will fit in the middle row. With 7 passenger seating, put the child seats in the middle row captain’s chairs and the booster in back. This is especially good because the oldest kid can’t annoy the little ones from there. Chrysler is especially innovative with rear and middle rows that fold into the floor. Honda, Kia, and Toyota minivans only have a back seat that folds into the floor.

Minivans also have much more storage space than cars or SUVs. The only SUVs with comparable storage space are the Suburban and Expedition, and you can’t afford those. We have an Odyssey. The main downside is that the timing belt has to be replaced every 105,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. That will be about $900 each time.

3 Likes

Only 2 1/2"?

Only? That can be a huge difference when one is about 2 inches short of width!
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Agree!
We bought our Dodge Caravan 23 years ago when our children were little kids. It had integrated child seats (built in).

Worked to haul our kids and their friends to sporting events, too.

I’ve hauled building materials. a refrigerator, bicycles, upright piano, you name it.

We still have it! It’s still on the road (lives in FL) and if it ever dies, I’ll replace it with a Town & Country.

It won’t deliver on gas mileage as some of the other choices, but a minivan is usually a very safe option for a family of 5. What’s that worth?

If it’s like our van, you’ll save on insurance, considerably. It has been our cheapest vehicle to insure. Be sure and call your insurance agent for quotes on any vehicles you are considering. Premiums vary, sometimes greatly.
CSA

If 2" makes that much difference you need a much bigger car. A Camry wouldn’t do it, more like an Impala.

Hmmm… Makes me wonder why the company that sells the Crayola would bother to make and try and sell the Camry? :wink:

Why wouldn’t they just refer folks to Chevrolet? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
CSA

Perhaps because they don’t make Chevrolets? Actually, an Impala isn’t any wider than a Camry so that wouldn’t work either. Nor is an Avalon if you want to stay with Toyota. If a couple of inches is enough to make a huge difference the OP is probably stuck.

It really depends on the seats @Cole has in the car, my older brother has 3 small kids and they fit into a 2006 Legacy wagon with all three seats in the back, but barely and after swapping out to booster seats that are skinny enough to fit.

Nope. Not gonna happen. You might replace it with a Pacifica, though. I like it a LOT better than the Grand Caravan, and the Pacifica has been the Chrysler minivan since 2017.

Used Grand Caravan or new (or used) Pacifica. I can’t believe the large number of both of these vehicles I see on the roads in Florida! Very popular there. They’re like belly-buttons… everybody’s got one. Rentals?

I really like the newer Pacifica, but they don’t give them away! $$$$$!
CSA

Chrysler is supposed to bring out a newer vehicle next year with fewer features and, of course, a lower price. It will replace the Grand Caravan, which is slated to go away next year. After your test drive, you will like the Pacifica much, much more. I normally don’t make pronouncements like that in comparisons, but the differences are that large.

So I am the wife and the car is for me. Yes kids will grow and husband is tall like you but I am avg height. I am actually zeroed in on Toyota chr or Mazda cx3. Strictly for driving to work.

We have a van as the family car but I want to replace my commuting car…So just an avg weight height female will drive this and three kids will be in it for max of 10 minutes a day…I don’t care about their comfort. I am seriously looking at Toyota chr and Mazda cx3.