Subframe Rust - Need Advice

Subaru’s definition of “severe driving conditions” is somewhat vague, but one interpretation is that if you do any driving in the winter or near the coast, or in wet or muddy conditions, or in the mountains, you qualify. Another interpretation is that only if ALL your driving is in the winter or near the coast, etc.

But I qualify in either case as I live in Boston.

WOW!

but I’m not about to change the diff. lube every 15k miles, that is silly.

I do have to talk to the dealer again (and get it in writing),

In all reality, aren’t all cars pretty much rust proofed about the same from the factory? I’m sure it varies a little bit, but I would think all car manufactures have certain standards that need to be met. NO? If not, which car manufactures are the best at rust proofing their vehicles from the factory?

+1 for @dagosa. Couldn’t have said it better.

@“oldtimer 11” The oil goes inside the body panels and that will last a couple of years. Grease goes on exposed areas…that last from fall well through the winter. I treat exposed areas that way. Even the traler hitch frame looked new after ten years to the guy who bought my 10 year old four runner. Grease works…but you have to do it yearly. The good news is…it’s quick and easy to paint on. Farmers do this for years as I do with tractor attachments. They last generations even left outside if you coat them once in a while.

Jman136 The correct phrase should really be rust resistant; not rustproof. Any car made will rust and how much and how fast depends more upon the environment and road salt, etc.
I’ve seen northern Rust Belt cars of all makes end up here in OK and with many of them it’s a miracle they did not collapse during transport due to the severity of the rust.

In some states requiring inspections for rust they would never pass. OK has no inspection so they get slathered with Bondo, hit with a quick paint spray, and unloaded on someone who doesn’t take the time to look underneath.

Cars could be manufactured out of stainless steel but that brings up weight and costs related to tooling and the price of stainless.

There was a time living in WI rust buckets seemed a thing of the past, but there is a resurgence, seeing more rusted out cars driving on the roads now.