Subaru's Extended Warranty

Greetings!

I recently bought a 2017 Forester from my father-in-law who takes great care of his vehicles. I just bought Subaru’s 5-year, 75,000 mile extended warranty Plan F Hi-tech Component Coverage (seals/gaskets, electronic hi-tech components, factory-installed nav system, and electrical plus), which also covers Plans D (powertrain) and E (cooling, air conditioning, front suspension, steering, electrical, brakes, and fuel system). The Forester currently has 77,600 miles. The plan costs $3,134, which seems a bit high to me. Has anyone bought a similar extended warranty and is it worth getting considering the year and current mileage of the car?

Thank you!

Piece of mind? Priceless.
Ask dealer what scheduled service/maintenance is required to keep warranty in effect.

1 Like

All you know for sure with an extended warranty is you’ve paid $3,134.

IF something goes wrong… it may or may not be covered by the warranty. The repair may be covered, but you may have to bring it to a Subaru dealer for repair. If you’re 1000 miles from home on vacation, that does you no good.

It sounds to me like this is a nice, well maintained vehicle. Personally, I’d keep the $3,134 in the bank to cover any future repairs. If the major repairs never come, you’ve still got the cash.

3 Likes

Agree that is the only kind of extended warranty I get on anything.

2 Likes

Read the fine print is all but insurance rates generally are in line with the risk involved. So the price may just reflect the likelyhood of major repairs.

1 Like

Probably makes sense. An alternative approach would be to spend half that amount each year on scheduled preventative maintenance, & save the other half in an account for any unexpected repairs.

2 Likes

Make sure it’s not like CarShield where they don’t cover issues that are caused by corrosion. ABS sensor notches on the wheel bearing on a 2014 RAM rusted away? Nope that’s due to corrosion you’re not covered.

1 Like

I wonder if they’d cover an engine that wouldn’t start b/c the ignition points had an invisible layer of surface oxidation?

Probably not, ignition points are a “wear item”.

1 Like

Huh?
I haven’t had a car with “points” for close to 30 years.
A 2017 Forester does not have points.

They were these things that … lol … I wonder when the last USA car with points was manufactured ? In the 1970’s I’d buy the truck’s entire basic tune-up kit plastic wrapped package hanging in the aisle at K-mart, points, rotor, condenser, shaft lube, $4.99. If I wanted to go whole-hog, spark plugs were 75 cents each I think.

1 Like

… haven’t existed on engines for MANY years.

If the entertainment LCD screen fails it costs thousands of dollars to replace. Some cars and trucks go over $9,000. The price may have gone up some.

To really go whole hog add spark wires maybe another 5 to 7$ :grinning:

1 Like

Of course not, I don’t think anyone has even used ignition points in the last 30 or 40 years. Any warranties would be expired by now.

1 Like