Subaru turbo blowout -- second within 2,000 miles

Does this model have one of those “time to change your oil” indicators on it? I would like to know if this came on or indicated that the vehicle was due for an oil change. Rocketman

Here is a decent explanation of issue along with related TSB’s. I am considering having my banjo filter removed soon on my wife’s car(2005 Legacy turbo) as I am approaching 87k. I have changed the oil every 3-4k miles since new with conventional.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

I don’t have a lot to add to this discussion except to say that the same thing happened to me with my 2005 Outback. Subaru replaced the turbo once at about 50,000, but within 5,000 miles it was failing again. We were never told about increasing the interval of oil changes beyond what the owner’s manual advised (which is a schedule that would have put it at about every 7,000 miles at that point) by either the dealer or by Subaru. After the second turbo failed we were told by the dealer that we needed to change the oil every 1,800 miles (this is completely unacceptable by the way). We usually go about every 2,500 miles between oil changes and it continues to happen. Last time we had the entire system flushed and that lasted for about six months. Now the evil flashing Cruise light and check engine light are on and I have very little pick up at all (car is now at 91,000 miles).

I’m extremely irritated by this problem and even more irritated that Subaru has done nothing to address it long-term. I can’t wait to be able to get rid of this car. We got a Subaru because they used to be known for their longevity. I guess they just don’t make 'em like they used to.