Subaru shudder

I recently purchased a 2013 forester and noticed a slight shudder in the car once I start to accelerate but it only lasts until I hit 20mph or so then disappears. The salesman tried telling me it was a normal subaru characteristic and being new to AWD and subaru I was a suckered and listened to him but after owning the car for a week it’s more noticeable than when I first drove the car off the lot. I’m not sure if its the tires out of balance or my half shafts or possibly drive shafts are screwy. If anyone else has had this issue I would much appreciate any info as to best possible issue.

Does this have the CVT?
But this is not normal. Could be tire balance.

It is not normal. Join and post your issue here.

Shudder on acceleration that stops when the throttle is released is often a drive train problem. How many miles?

I believe it does have the cvt. I also noticed it more after the car has been driven for a decent amount of time

Per insightful’s post, how many miles on the car and does this shudder go away when you release the throttle?

Once warmed up, does the engine idle glass smooth or does it have any subtle vibration; even to the slightest degree?

If this car hasn’t had its tires rotated as per the car mfr’s maintenance schedule, and/or if they do not match each other in terms of the amount of tread wear…brand…size…, then this could be a case of a failing center viscous coupler.

What can the OP tell us about the tires?

Car has 62000 miles on it and it idles glass smooth and once I hit 30 mph the shudder goes away. It does continue if I let off the throttle as well.

Tires are all the same brand, size and have no uneven wear.

But do the tires all have equal wear ?? That is, if you measure tread depth on all 4, are they about equal (within 1/16 inch) ?

This is important for Subaru’s. If it is driven any significant distance with unequal tires, you could cause expensive damage.

“If it is driven any significant distance with unequal tires, you could cause expensive damage.”

…which wouldn’t be covered by warranty, because failure to rotate the tires on schedule constitutes owner negligence.

Even if I’m the new owner to the car, it won’t be covered under warranty? I did purchase an additional 100,000 mile warranty so I guess I may have to check into that.

Well thanks for the info. I guess I’ll just go to the dealership and have them take a look at it this week and see what they have to say. I was hoping it was just a balance issue but now I’m concerned it’s more severe than that. Thanks agian.

"Even if I’m the new owner to the car, it won’t be covered under warranty?"

Owner negligence is owner negligence, regardless of which owner, so if this problem can be related to a negligence situation–such as failure to rotate tires or failure to replace all 4 tires at the same time, then–yes–the mfr is off the hook for financial responsibility for repairing the car.

When you buy a used car, in addition to buying the actual vehicle, you are essentially also buying the maintenance history of the car under its previous owner.

Test the salesperson’s theory. Go there, ask to test-drive another similarly equipped Subie and see if it shudders the same way yours does. That’s the first step.