Subaru Outback vs. Lexus ES 350

I am getting it from a friend. He maintained it very well and is ok with $13,800 for the car (with 4 new tires, 4 new snow tires and new brake pads and a bike rack). We think we could sell the Subaru for 17,500 or so18,000 and have a good car and put a bit of money into a car for our daughter. Your thoughts?

Thank you wolyrobb. I understand. We have always had Toyotas and the current Outback does not feel as solid/ well-made.

Actually, the person is a friend who is 76 and just wants one car now. Nothing to do with quality. They have a Lexus SUV.

Thank you for the information Corollaguy1.

Thank you steveng and MikeInNH. I read about the head gasket problems but did not know about the batteries.

First rule of buying or selling a vehicle - never do either one with relatives , friends or coworkers .

1 Like

Yes, Cavell - we expect to make a profit on the Subaru.

You canā€™t make a profit on the Subaru unless you sell it for more than you paid for it.

1 Like

You need to be happy with what youā€™re driving, if the Lexus is it for you then I wish youhappy motoring with it.

Thanks wolyrobb. I appreciate your kind posts. I realize that these are difficult questions to answer but appreciate your insights.

Unless the Subaru has been unreliable, Iā€™d keep it. The 8 year old Lexus IS old enough now that age related repairs ar a lot more likely to start. Rubber parts in the suspension, hoses, air system, and windows will become inflexible enough that they will start breaking up. Iā€™m think mostly of bushings in the suspension, but coolant hoses and brake lines (if they are rubber) are in the list too.

When did you buy the 2017 Subaru? Maybe you got it at auction. Or from a friend. You could be a savvy buyer.