Subaru Outback Intermittent Crank Not Starting

Hello all,

My Subaru Outback 2008 will intermittently crank but not start. This happens at nighttime, morning, after running the car fine all day, after starting it fine once in the morning then won’t start at my next destination. This has happened at least once every couple months. If the car rests 15-45 minutes it will start up again and I may or may not have a subsequent issues later. It’s very mysterious and every time I take it to the mechanic they can’t replicate the problem and so they don’t know what it is. I have had the fuel pump replaced a couple months ago (which it was running fine no problem until this morning when there was an episode) and also I’ve had spark plugs replaced about a year ago. Is there anyone that can shed some light on this topic? If it’s just a querk of this make and model and I won’t be stranded somewhere at some point I can deal with it. But it’s definitely concerning.
Thank you.

Anytime there’s a crank no-start condition, the first suspect is the crankshaft position sensor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2008,outback,2.5l+h4,1440445,ignition,crankshaft+position+sensor,7196

If the computer doesn’t receive a signal from this sensor when attempting to start the engine, the engine isn’t going to start.

Tester

Could be solenoid assembly or wiring to your starter if the car cranks it’s not the starter solenoid if your car did not crank and you did something to make it crank check trigger circuit, neutral safety switch,ignitionswitch also you can check volt or starter

Thank you! It was the crank sensor. It finally failed totally and it gave the mechanic the code that was the crank shaft.