Subaru oil consumption 98k

Hmmm… interesting.
And then, you have the incredible racket coming from BMW’s direct injection engines.
They sound like a cheap-o corn popper from K-Mart.

Wait to hear new Mazda’s compression-ignition GDIs once they come to light.
Neat concept, but this thing will probably sound like a sewing machine :slight_smile:

I was delighted when I got my 1971 Ford Maverick from 1 quart every 300 miles to a quart every 1250 miles, by having the valve stem seals replaced. One quart in 5700 miles isn’t a problem.
My first car, a 1947 Pontiac, for which I paid $75, consumed a quart every 250 miles. That’s big boy oil consumption. I checked the oil frequently.

My 2012 Camry’s owners manual claims that one quart in 700 miles is not excessive oil consumption, I think that claim should be on the window sticker. I wonder how many cars they would sell then.

Mt Camry doesn’t burn any noticable oil, I just don’t like such weaselly claims from manufacturers.

It wasn’t until the Japanese started selling cars here that we realized it was possible for cars to not burn oil/

My Subaru manual states that 1 quart every 1,200 miles is OK.
(15 forester)

You are one of the 2% of Subaru owners of the 2.5-liter engine that now has the oil consumption defect. Read up on the subject and you will discover that it will only get worse and eventually it will destroy the engine. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There is a known problem with that engine and also a class action suit to protect the victims (I was one of the early victims in the 1990s of this myself). Here is a CarTalk article that will help explain the situation. My adivce? Fill that car up and immediately drive it to your second favorite mfg to trade it for a different crossover. CarComplaintes has a long list of Subaru owners in your situation who stuck it out and eventually had the short block replaced. Many of those folks had a failure of the replacement short block. I drive one of the Subaru models known to have this defect and I watch it closely for the day I will need to switch brands. I won’t ever own a Subaru out of warranty again and likely won’t own another Subaru. I’ve had 4.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be the “hall of shame”?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I tend to agree. We had two Subaru’s and had increasing oil consumption on both before 150k. They were both very reliable otherwise. A friends six cylinder Suby is a rock at nearly 200 k. So, like you, it mainly applies to the four. Should be able to get a good trade for it…but do it while you can.

the Ultimate Driving Machine can not be placed on such a list :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Ohh, and I thought that my -68 Morris minor Pick-up - not truck - was the ultimate driving machine:disappointed :disappointed_relieved:

I have to add the LandRover and Harley Motto: if it aint leaking, she is empty. The subaru boxer engine design will pool oil in the cylinders, especially if parked on a slight grade and this will lead to constant oil consumption. There are aftermarket products to free sticking piston rings - which I would try if consumption seems high.